A drawing supplied or not?, that is the question!

Using Box section

In a drawing document, of an assembly, I have a parts only BOM. In this BOM, is a column, called Length and this value is linked to the extruded value.

Ok so far.

Some of the parts have holes, drilled and tapped holes, other cuts etc... and some don't. There are drawings for the parts with these added extra's, but for the "plain" parts, whose length, can be shown in the assembly drawing, there are no drawings.

What I would like to do, is provide a column in the BOM, stating if, (or if not), there is a drawing for that part.

Y or N in simple terms or Y and a blank cell for no drawing provided.

Can this be done?

Many thanks

Reply to
pete

I wouldn't monkey with components to force this info into a BOM. This information belongs elsewhere, such as in a work order or purchase agreement.

Reply to
That70sTick

By default there is nothing in a part to tell it that it has a drawing. You could make a custom property with this information in which case you would be responsible for keeping it current. By rights this sort of thing is in the realm of a PDM system to populate the BOM.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Thanks Top,

We have PDMworks, but this information, is for the guy on the shop floor. He just wants to look at the BOM, and know, what parts needs holes and what doesn't. This is a project with lots of similar parts, and it would be a lot easier, to look at the BOM and see what is just cut and what requires extra work.

Reply to
pete

If you are not dealing with large assemblies, it is pretty simple to do it manually. Create a custom property called "Drawing" and fill in a value of "Y" or "N" for as applicable for each part. (Make the new propery part of your part template if you will use it often) Insert a new column in your BOM and set it to the "Drawing" custom property. Save you new BOM as a template, and you can use it again.

Reply to
engr-D

Thanks Tick,

But I can't see your reasoning. The guys on the shopfloor has requested this information. The BOM is on the drawing supplied to these guys. This would save me, extra work too, lol :-)

Reply to
pete

Thanks eng-D,

That does work engr-D, but this is a huge assembly, with lots of parts.

:-)

Reply to
pete

In each of the parts you could have configurations. With those configurations have a configuration specific custom property that would have the size listed for those parts that have drawings and the ones that don't make the custom property but put a space in for the size.

so.... put the info on the shop order and have the shop floor read the shop order (like he should be doing anyhow)

My current client has a fair number of drawing-less components (cut boards, etc.). All the shop guys know where to find the cut information in the MRP system.

Reply to
That70sTick

Are you trying to automate this so that the designer does not have to enter the information manually? Also, do you have existing Drawings with Boms that need to be updated to have this information added to it?

A custom feature could be added to recognize if a drawing is not required and it could update the custom property automatically. A custom program could be written to update existing drawings adding the column to the BOM and opening the parts and adding the custom feature.

Reply to
Bill Briggs