A question to all fellow SW 2005 plodders

Hello All,

Using SW 2005, please do me a favor. Take a part and make a cut that results in two separate bodies. When the dialog box comes up that asks for "Bodies to keep" does anyone else get a graphical indication of which body you are selecting??? So when clicking between the two bodies does it show on the screen which is which, because I do not?

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

I just tried it here and definitely no response. It appears that the selection does work, but there is no graphical indication of which body is which. I even tried it in 2004 to make sure that I was doing it properly. BTW, the Help also doesn't appear to be correct, so turn that in also.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thank you both for the conformation.

I'll send it in today. Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Wayne,

In what way, and where?

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Muggs,

Yep,, no indicator with a simple block.

I did pull up a mold I did in 2004, and did an edit on the cavity. In this case, the select body highlight worked correctly.

Mark

Reply to
MM

Actually I need to retract a bit. I remember on my last mold that it didn't see anyn indication when doing a cut. So that I can confirm. However, I just started a split and when a cavity feature creates separate bodies, I DID see a graphical representation of which body was selected.

Must be behaving differently in different features???

jk

Reply to
jk

Ok, here is what I have found.

I started a new part (basic block part) and drove a circular cut through it from the end such that I would be left with 2 separate bodies. When I clicked on the check mark to accept it, up popped a box labeled Bodies to Keep. Great, I picked Selected bodies rather than All bodies, and proceeded to check which ones I wanted to keep, with no graphical indication of which was which.

I also clicked on the Help button to access the SW help for this area. The first paragraph says"The Bodies to Keep dialog box appears with the any cut feature that includes multibody parts. It allows you to select which bodies to keep and which bodies to eliminate as a result of the cut operation." The next paragraph says "You can choose All bodies or Selected bodies. If the model has configurations, you can select the configurations to affect." Still fine - probably applies.

Then it has a section of bulleted points that start with "All bodies. Cuts all bodies every time the feature rebuilds. If you add new bodies to the model that are intersected by the cutting tool, these new bodies are also rebuilt to include the cut." This definitely does not apply to this Bodies to Keep box. It then goes on a few entries down "If you choose Selected bodies, you can also choose Auto-select under Feature Scope in the PropertyManager." Ok, this is talking about a Feature Scope tab - don't have one. Hmmm.

So, to move on, click the two boxes to keep both parts. Then repeat the sketch on the RH side so you will end up with 4 separate parts. If you click on the check mark, you get all the same stuff as above. However, before you hit the check mark, look down in the FM and you will now see a Feature Scope tab, which is what all the rest of that help page was describing. If you pick Selected bodies, and uncheck Auto-select, then you have the opportunity to pick your bodies *that will be affected by the cut.* You have to pick the bodies in the graphics area, rather than the check boxes, and then when you hit the check mark, the Bodies to Keep box comes up and you have the option to pick 4 bodies, again with no visual indication.

Now RMB Cut-Extrude2, or whatever, and Edit Feature. If you then hit the checkmark, the Bodies to Keep box comes up as before. But if you first go to the Feature Scope tab..............now I can't make it do it. At some point, by trying different things, I did get some visual feedback, but now I can't repeat it. Oh well, I guess this is enough for now - someone else try it also.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I haven't looked at the help file, so I cannot comment on any of that. I DO have some further input, though. In a previous post, I said that I was getting feedback when selecting which bodies to keep when using the cavity feature. I just did another one, and that is definitely working.

However, I just did a cut-extrude resulting in multiple bodies and can confirm that there is no graphical input when selecting a body as to which body is which. HOWEVER- and this is where it gets interesting-I selected the wrong body when doing so blind just now. So I went in to edit the feature, and then I did get a shading of the body which had been selected. I de-selected it and selected a new one. Again there was no indication which one I selected. This one was also wrong, so I edited the feature again. I was shown which body when editing and was finally able to select the proper body. 3rd time's the charm, I guess.

-- Best Regards,

John Kreutzberger J K Mold Design (916) 813-9764

Reply to
jk

Yes jk,

I found the same thing. When going back to edit, the "selected body" is definitely highlighted. My VAR confirmed that this is a bug and sent it up to SW, so I imagine that an SPR will be forth coming. I'll keep you informed.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

As I said before - make sure that they also mention that the help on that area is not very clear in that it doesn't point out the different situations. Maybe send them my message also.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Muggs, did you ever get a number on this one?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I got one from my VAR last week:

Thanks for your Service Request. We have confirmed the preview regression in SolidWorks 2005 and this has been submitted as a Problem Report to the Development Team:

SPR 236762 If a cut that would create a multi-body part is made when a sketch is being edited, no body preview appears

You will be notified when this issue has been resolved.

I have been to busy to check the web site to see if it's scheduled for the next sp.

jk

Reply to
jk

Yes, Wayne, JK,

I was also told that it was logged as SPR 236762 and that I would get an email from SW when it was fixed. No email yet.

Muggs

Auto-select,

Reply to
Muggs