Autodesk buys Alias

I guess SW has some incentive to get a move on with some seriously better ID tools now... neil

Reply to
neil

This is about right for Autodesk. They have made the leap to cartoon images to enhance their product line.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Alias makes leading softwere for 3D Design and animation. Far beyond cartoon images as implied above. Having said that, I doubt that they will be able to integrate functionality of Studio Tools with Inventor beyond some import/export capacity. It is more likely that they will just keep with developing current products.

Solidworks developers aren't going to loose any sleep over this IMHO.

Reply to
Ivan

Alias makes leading softwere for 3D Design and animation. Far beyond cartoon images as implied above. Having said that, I doubt that they will be able to integrate functionality of Studio Tools with Inventor beyond some import/export capacity. It is more likely that they will just keep with developing current products.

Solidworks developers aren't going to loose any sleep over this IMHO.

Reply to
Ivan

If I were an Alias user - owner I'd be pissed. Autodesk is like the corporate raiders of CAD software.

Reply to
Tinker

hmmm...well I think this is of noteworthy strategic importance Ivan not just for the Maya/Max people and the rationalisation that will take place...I am sure they didn't spend up just to keep developing the current products... I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some Alias functionality transferred into Inventor in a similar way that Pro/E has subsurfs and sketch up/viz tools. the implication here is that Autodesk are acquiring the capability to move up the functional rung and away from energetic Alibre type competitors and the typical mid range capability... whereas SW will continue to dribble out bits here and there avoiding infringing on Catia ground...is SW sleepy? sure..

Reply to
neil

I was taking a cheap shot at Autodesk. I used to be one of there many abused customers. Did it again, darn!

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Do you guys remember how aggressively Autodesk was trying to rip on SolidworksWorld 2005- posting negative ads in the airport and such? Sounds like they did not have much to offer except angry words. I guess they could compete so had to buy a weapon to use against Dassault. It might even work.

Reply to
parel

I am surprised this acquisition hasn't drawn much comment here...ID people are real big participants in webcasts too ;o) Really this is a pretty good business move from Autodesk...but as usual though they poke their customers in the eye...if they weren't such a rat hole company you would have better feelings about it...price rises and forced upgrades/migration on the horizon I bet. This certainly covers any potential ID moves from the midrange industry and then some. The challenge is laid out for SW now to deliver really good tools and not in half baked stutters...possibly this would be good time to redefine the relationship with Dassault or get out from that umbrella. All said and done this is probably good news for SW users too.

Reply to
neil

Does anyone know the extent of the relationship between SW and Dassault?

Reply to
Ivan

Dassault owns Solidworks.

Reply to
ms

Yes,

We own you!

Kman

Reply to
Kman

"neil" wrote in news:DoE0f.16032$iM2.1317978 @news.xtra.co.nz:

I SURE HOPE SO!!

The first thing they should do is pull out some of the unnecessary mous clicks. IE:

  1. to scroll the assembly tree, you move from the model window to the assembly tree window. All windows applications are aware of the crossover so why do I have to make an mouse click to activate the assembly tree window before I scroll it. By the way why does the assembly tree jump around when certian edits are made? LIke to edits of mates.

1 B. now move back to the model and try rotating or zooming - DUH! once again the use has to click in the model window to activate it.

2 whilst applying mates click on a face or feature of the first mate and then try to zoom out a bit or rotate the model nope the stupid programmers want the user to click someplace within the model window to reactivate it so hecan obtain a more suitable view of the model WHY the extra cmouse click???

3 rotate SUCKS HUGE - how come the model rotates out of view??? Oh I know how to preselect a point on the model which makes it the center point of rotation - BUT WHY??? Since the stupid software is capable of it should I have to always inform it to do so. Even the stupid "Rotate About Screen Center" (from the 'view' menu) does a poor job of it. (I can't believe solidworks users put up with it for all these years. Have you seen Inventor's rotate (orbit) capability? What a bunch of saps you are for putting up with such a crappy pathetic feature)

Just because the visitors of this group use Solidworks dosen't make it a very good tool. you guys are defending it solely on the ground of you posessing it.

WAY TOO MANY mouse clicks

How come solidworks is such a memory hog??

Why is solidworks not a dual processor capable software?

Other than that It's a great design tool.

Love the E-Drawings. Keep up the good work.

SW

Reply to
SWalker

Some parts do suck. Like the rest of life, though, you learn to work with it because the alternative, again as with life, is a whole lot worse.

Reply to
Mike Young

"Mike Young" wrote in news:9EL1f.1731$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Yep, so true

we can only hope for things to get better and strive for improvement ourselves.

sw

Reply to
SWalker

once upon a time someone had a wish list site... I think it would be a good idea if SW would host an area on their forum site where folks could propose and discuss specific things they want changed or improved rather than just make isolated submissions for enhancements. anyone else think this is a worthwhile thing to do?

Reply to
neil

I think everyone would agree with you Neil. What ever happened to that wish list site?

It would be more then useful to see which suggestions are accepted by majority of users and which are not. You could have a voting system of some sort...

Reply to
Ivan

yes I don't know if you visit the SW forum but there was a recent example of the power of collaboration there for some issues people were having with tooltips in 05. because people could chime in with their experience and a SW guy with responsibility in that area took a direct interest the problems were tracked down quickly and resolved for sp5...this is the way it should be all the time...each bug report should be accessible to input from users... as should the status of fixes.

Reply to
neil

I dont seem to have a problem with clicking between the tree and the work area. I suppose it has to do with the fact that I rotate the model constantly and this works without the extra click. Sure, if you want to scroll the tree with your mouse wheel, you have to click (either the wheel or a button), but if you want to rotate the view afterwards you just move the mouse to the work area and hold the wheel pressed.

I agree with rotating about entities. I would prefer if I didnt have to double click the middle button to get solidworks to rotate about highlighted entity. I know some people dont use this feature at all, but since it is there I would like to make it default - without having to double click every time. RSI syndrome anyone?

Reply to
Ivan

==solved in 2006

==solved in 2006>

== if you buy a spaceball your problems described above are gone, it saves me a lot of mouseclicks (time). (i use a spaceball5000, which has 12 programmable buttons )

== dont know

== me too.

best regards, Bram

Reply to