XLS table in drawing

Little out of the ordinary, but I have a drawing with several sheets that require a paint colour table for the painters to follow so they one paint the right colors and two dont paint the inside of the bushings on the assembly. Paint by numbers anyone?. I have a *.xls file that I would like linked to a general table in the drawing, better yet, on all sheets.

So how do I link a *.xls table to a general table on a drawing. The next step would be how do I have it link to all the general tables on all the sheets of the drawing, is this as simple as copying the table once the link has been established?

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben Eadie

I believe that you will have to embed the actual excel file into the sheet -- OLE has an option to link to the original file. There is no way to link excel cells back to cells in a general table.

Hope that helps Steve T.

Reply to
SteveT

Ok then next dumb question. I have never embedded a xls file how is it done? Really no help in the help on this

Ben

SteveT wrote:

Reply to
Ben Eadie

Never mind I got it

Ben

Ben Eadie wrote:

Reply to
Ben Eadie

Ben,

Something that helps us out from a file management standpoint is to attach your Excel spreadsheet to the Design Binder. It then becomes embedded within the SolidWorks Document.

We still use Excel tables for non-parimetric BOMs on cable drawings and other misc. tables needed because of the greater efficiency in adding data to the Excel table. Being able to TAB or use arrow keys between cells in entering data can really speed things up. I like the new SolidWorks General Tables, but so far in my testing, you still have to double click each individual cell to type data into it. TAB or arrow keys will not work in entering data.

Good Luck,

Ricky Jordan CSWP Dynetics, Inc.

Ben Eadie wrote:

Reply to