Bringing Up A SW2003 Assembly in SW2008

I need to bring up an old assembly and drawing files done in SW2003 into SW2008. Is there any procedure I should do to prevent problems or corrupting the file?

Reply to
edge
1st back all of the files up.

2nd. if you d> I need to bring up an old assembly and drawing files done in SW2003

Actually I don't agree with second step (maybe drawings but not parts / assembly)

Make sure all files in assembly are converted to newest version, that way you will have lower possibility of crash, and it will open faster

2003 to 2008 should be ok , if not you may want to convert to something around 2006 first then 2008, but I doubt you will have problems going to directly to 2008

Just start with parts

Reply to
mr.T

I don't want to inspire any reckless behavior, but I only agree with the idea of having it backed up before opening. In many cases this is a moot point anyway because you'll be opening from an archive.

I just did this last week. I had an old job archived on a CD. I copied it to a folder on my HD and (after removing the read-only access) just bravely opened the assembly. No crashes; no errors; opened cleanly. I then saved it and am now waiting for my P.O. for the revisions that are on the way. Drawings were fine as well.

What's going to be interesting in my case is that I did this old mold design with MoldWorks and no longer use it. I still don't anticipate any major issues, but there may be some head-scratching.........

Good Luck.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger