Can I turn off "Psychic" Mating in 2004

I have to say, I really hate this feature. I dont always want to make

2 faces coincident, and SolidWorks takes forever trying to guess what mate I want to do.

Is there a way to automatically turn this off? Also, is there a way to close the mate box after adding 1 mate?

Reply to
SW Monkey

Interesting that you can see a time consumption based on the system trying to determine the proper mate. I don't think I can see it, and I do not know of a way to turn it off. Sorry, no help there.

Mates in 2005, as you know, are now "deferred" by default, so what I usually do is select the mate items, click the checkmark, and then hit the Enter key. That works better than checking the second check mark because the mouse click for the check will not go into a buffer, but the keystroke on the Enter key will. This means that you can stuff the Enter key into the buffer and the system will execute it when it finishes the previous action, rather than you having to wait and then click the mouse.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Can't you turn off the "Show preview" checkbox at the bottom of the mate tool to do this?

Jim

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

keystroke on

message

Reply to
Jim

Ok, I didnt relize "Show Preview" was the deferr option. That is off now, and its quicker.

BUT, Is there a way to not have to hit enter or the checkbox after clicking the checkbox after making a mate? Sometimes I only need to add 1 mate.

Reply to
SW Monkey

"SW Monkey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Use a macro. I don't mess with the mates dialog unless I have to do a distance, angle or some advanced mate. I select two faces or axes or whatever and hit a hotkey for a macro, bang, the parts go together. If there's a question about which direction it will align, I pre-position it before doing the mate within 90 deg of where I want it to go.

Mate macros are on my website in the macro library

matt

Thanks for the link on the macros. Question: The distance macro, it doesnt prompt you to choose a distance, and its set as a "limit distance". Is there a way to prompt it for a distance? How does Limit Distance differ from a std distance? Ive never used it before.

Reply to
SW Monkey

"SW Monkey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Oh, yeah, I forgot that was in there. I made that, but I never use it. It has some default distance. Same with the angle mate macro. I think I was going to try to make it prompt for a distance/angle, but I never did. Anyone else is welcome to try it out, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I think this macro was written before "limit" mates existed in SW. Distance limit mates will allow one mate entity to get up to X far away from the other mate entity, so it limits how far the part can move. A regular distance mate keeps the two mate entities at X distance.

The ones I hook up to hotkeys are the coincident, concentric, parallel, perpendicular and tangent.

Reply to
matt