Cant unbend this part, seem like a no brainer

We are using SolidWorks 2003, and I cant seem to unbend this part.

If I delete the last feature I created, it will unbend. What am I doing wrong?

I uplodad the part file here, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SW Monkey

hmmm,

just tried it in sw2005 sp0 and it opened with errors, rolled thru the creation and it is fine.

Maybe its a bug with SolidWorks 2003.

Mike

SW M> We are using SolidWorks 2003, and I cant seem to unbend this part. >

Reply to
Mike Lamora

I called it up in 2004 SP3 and did a ctrl-q and everything seems to bend and unbend with out errors.

Reply to
SWuser

Your right, it won't. Can't see anything wrong, but I don't remember if the SW2003 rules are different.

It does work correctly in both SW2004 SP4.2, and SW2005 SP0.1. (after a cntrl-Q)

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

SWM, I opened it in 2005, ctrl-Q, and the flat pattern works. Same for 2004.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Like the others said, it works after rollback and unroll.

Also, there are better ways to use the sheetmetal tools. Instead of doing a bunch of cuts and extrudes, it would work out a lot better to just edit the flange profile on an edge flange.

matt

"SW Monkey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
matt

Matt, what do you mean edit the edge flange profile? The base flange profile is an endview, which is extruded. I am making cuts on the side view of that base extrude. How is this possible to do from the base flange?

Please explain, I would like to know the "best practice" with doing this. Thanks :)

If possible, could you post a sample part with what you are talking about? Thanks.

Reply to
SW Monkey

I think the issue is that you told it that it was a sheet metal part, put in the bends, and then added more material to it. SW2003 didn't like to do that, but 2004 & 2005 handle it just fine.

Two other ways to do it.

  1. If you start with what you have, delete the extension & just increase the length of the base flange by the 3" that you extruded the tab. Then readjust the cuts.

  1. Start with the extrude, make your cuts, add the extension, and then tell it that it's a sheet metal part by inserting bends. It will then pick up the complete part and flatten it with no problem.

By the way - interesting part. It looks like the side of the shoe in a combine.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany