Can I make a 3D SWX part from this?

Hi,

I did a search for previous posts but none clarified the answer sufficiently so here it goes again: I have recieved a dxf file of an assembly. Opening it with the DWG editor I can see the assembly and in fact it is obviously in 3D as I can see different elevations and rotate the part on screen. What is the best way of producing a SolidWorks 3D part from it? I tried just opening the file and my PC went quiet on me while it ran at 100% on the CPU for half an hour then SWX crashed.

Was I doing the right thing? Can I try something else?

Thanks F

Reply to
Flynt

"Flynt" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Just a guess: I suppose SW would see it as a bunch of 3D lines. No chance in my opinion to directly turn in into a solid.

Reply to
Jean Marc

If it really is 3D, then in DWGEditor you should be able to do File/Acis-Out to save it as a .sat file which can then be opened in SWX.

John H

Reply to
John H

Tried that with some success! Thanks. The only trouble is that the drawing in DWGEditor is complete but the SWX model derived in the manner you describe has some parts missing. They are not listed in the tree but are major, complicated parts. I wonder why they don't show?

In addition, the 100+ parts are not mated and easily fly apart. I guess the way to deal with that is to fix each part in the tree?

Flynt