Problem Exploding Blocks (from an ACAD DWG).

Hi, I have just got some ACAD DWG files from a client that i need to import & edit.
The problem I am having is exploding the blocks.
I have tried importing directly into SWX 2007 - this was not successful as a large number of entities would not import.
I have tried opening with DWG editor 2008 and the file imports without any issues however, it shows 2 tabs - model and layout1, I can explode the blocks in the model view but not in the layout view? The consequence is that i cannot pick single entities in the layout to edit.
Any Ideas welcome!
Thanks,
Kev

Another issue I've just found is that when I explode a block in the model tab it disappears from view in both the model view and the layout view.
Kev

The drawing editor is not exactly the same as using AutoCAD. It does not work quite right. Close but no cigar.
Bob

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that.
Kev

From where I am at I do not know exactly what you have so I can not reallly tell you how to proceed.
Bob

Only the solids import

Layout has two modes model space and paper space. in model space mode it is the same thing as editing in model space but you have to unlock the viewport which can lead to unintended consequences.

Edit them in model space. The layout tab is for formatting to plot.

This must be mechanical desktop file
In model view is the part 3D? see if u can rotate it
Depending on what do u need to correct in this file you may ask for a different format

The part as you call it is in fact a plant layout - and yes I can rotate it - but it's only a 2D drawing (there are no 3D features) just lines, curves, annotations and blocks.
My client needs to add his tuppence worth (pipe routings) so he can manufacture then install them.
Kev

That is a different cat to skin.
If I remember it right (I used to be good in this autoCRAP junk, just don't tell anyone)
If by block you mean big square around the drawing layout, it must be viewport (no, you can't explode it)
Work with model view this way your scale should be correct unless there was some real aCAD genius and draw that thing scaled (oh I have seen things like that) then when you go back to layout the changes should show

The OP probably needs to draw in model space full size is preferred if the original drawing was done that way, or scaled if it was scaled. People do some weird stuff when they draw in AutoCAD. My preference is to draw full scale and setup the plotscale in paperspace. The inference is that the drawing actually has some blocks in it.
Bob