Chrome Plated Part with Dots

I created a simple cylinder with a chromed finish (using Photoworks). I need to add a red and a blue colored dots (.125 dia.) on its surface.

1) In the original model, I tried "deppresed" circles and the surfaces were colored red and blue. 2) I made separate disks (colored red and blue) that were "assembled" to the depressed surfaces.

Now the problem.......when I render the part in chrome, the colored dots are chromed also.

How can I make these colored dots visible in their orignal color and not chrome?

Hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thank you

Reply to
coldhot

I'll guess that the dots are either below the cylinder surface or the assembly material and/or parts have been set to chrome as well?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Afternoon,

Two suggestions:

- apply a photoworks texture (of the appropriate color) to the face of the dots

- edit the texture properties...in the material editor go to illumination....material type...pick 'constant' from the pull down. That will make the dots stand out.

Happy Rendering!

Montie

snipped-for-privacy@montie.com

Reply to
Montie

What you could do is use the "Illumination" material "Cut Hole with Decal".

...................(begin)........................... You're correct, Paul, the dots are .015 below the surface and I made the colored dots .010 thick.

The recessed dots on the cylinder's surface were chromed also. Is there a way to "mask" the recessed dots so that the surface don't get chromed? ....................(end)............................

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Nevermind, that doesn't work! SW pos option does not work! You can delete the faces?

Reply to
Paul Salvador