Circuit Board Design - Methods for Design and Export to vendors

Hey I am generating a circuitboard.sldprt and creating a circuitboard.slddrw with title block, rev, notes, dims etc. Then I save as the (.slddrw) to (.dxf) and map layers to generate a (.dxf) with layers for a PC board manufacturer to import the various geometry ( PC board, circuit-1, circuit-2, circuit-3). I can map Hidden Lines and Solid Lines from each (.slddrw) view w/hidden line shown. These will show up in the (.dxf) in their own layer. The problem is that I can't get each separate feature onto its on (.dxf) layer like (PC board, circuit-1, circuit-2, circuit-3).

I found that I can create a circuitboard.sldasm consisting of each item that I want on a layer as a (.sldprt), then I can create a (.slddrw) of that assembly and SWX will let me assign each component of that assembly to its own layer. This will let me map those solidworks layers out to a (.dxf) with the same layers.

Problem is creating the circuitboard.sldasm is overkill and will require me to have to create part numbers for (PC Board, Circuit-1, Circuit-2, Circuit-3). This is not very efficient for me and I am open to suggestions for a completely different process.

Does anyone else create circuit boards with SolidWorks and then source them from a vendor who needs your (.dxf) or other format to produce them?

Let me know what the methods are for doing this?

Reply to
whynotdesign3d

Thanks for your input

Yes the board is fairly simple ( RF Antenna Design ) one trace with one ground plane and then PCB profile with mount holes and connectors. My biggest obstacle is many revisions come back to me from RF Engineers and I must update my models, drawings and revisions. Solidworks (.slddrw) is the controlled file in our systems, Then we make uncontrolled (.dxf) output on demand.

My PCB vendor massages a (.dxf) w / layers that I save out from a (.slddrw), then they use E-CAM "Gerber" format to create the PCB.

I looked at CircuitWorks for Solidworks but it needs IDF format and I only get (.dxf) from my RF Engineers.

Thanks

Reply to
whynotdesign3d

Designing Printed circuit boards is my primary function here where I work. I also do mechanical design with Solidworks and wish I had more to do (Solidworks is a, way cool) The software I use for PCB design costs twice as much as Solidworks does.

IF I was to do a pcb layout us> Hey

Reply to
FrankW