Combine Feature

How many solids does your feature tree folder say you have? If its one, you need to edit the second extrusion and un-check the box that says "merge solids".

Reply to
Brian

Ryan, are you sure that you have at least two solid bodies. Check your solids folder at the top of your feature manager. You could just have surface bodies. It's the only thing that I can think of. Did you uncheckmark the "merge solids" when you did the second extrusion? If you do have two solids (or more) please submit to your VAR.

Regards Mark Biasotti SolidWorks

Ryan Neuhart wrote:

Reply to
mbiasotti

Hello All, I am trying to use the combine feature (Insert->Features->Combine...), but it is grayed out. I have been able to use this feature before, but am not sure why it would be grayed out this time. I have 2 extrusions created from

2 closed sketches, which are intersecting with each other. I need to get the common solid between the two of them, but the option is grayed out like I said. It seems (to me atleast) like I should be able to do this. Any ideas?

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Neuhart

Uncheck merge on the second extrude.

Reply to
TOP

Another option that will often work and bypasses having to add a Combine feature is to do a cut extrude for your second feature, then flip the side to cut to the outside of the sketch profile. This was how it was done before the Combine boolean functions were added.

Reply to
Jason

Yeah, that's what I forgot to do. Thanks alot.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Neuhart

Another added tip to make this even easier is don't forget about the Selected contours selection in your extrude feature that allows you to pick one of the two profile in a single sketch (even if they are overlapping). It at the bottom of the extrude (or cut) PM.

Reply to
mbiasotti