configurable Sketch Plane

Does anyone use the configurable sketch plane? When did this get added to the software? I would think we have shown enough inconsistency with how plane / face normals make your sketch flip or rotate that this would be one of those things falling into the "too dangerous to touch" category. Comments? Questions?

Reply to
matt

added in 2005. never use it.

Reply to
kenneth

I would agree that the configurable sketch would seem too dangerous. But I'd like to defend it as a good idea and say instead that it's the plane normals and sketch orientation issues that are the real danger.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Noticed it a while back, thought about it, filed it away (just in case) but largely figrured I would never us it. If anything, I would use configurations on a sketch that drove the position of a plane (done that before) before using configurable planes. Also, since I figured it wouldn't get used much, I also figured it wouldn't be all that reliable (if folks don't use a feature, bugs don't get found and fixed in my experience - for robustness I try to default to things that are used a lot when appropriate)

On a similar note (maybe new thread?) has anyone used configurable suppression or unsuprression of sketch relations? Tha'ts been around for a while. Just opened a new part to give it a try, and even though there is a group box in the PM to choose the cofnigs that the suppression/unsuppression would apply to, I found that it would apply to both configs reagardless of what I told it to do. Maybe i am not clicking in the right order? (likely, though I tried it three different ways), or maybe it is broken but no one reported that it doesn't work becasue no one uses it? Kinda curious about that one - I would love to see a good reason to use it. I have never run into one that I can think of.

Ed

BTW, matt... what's up? working on a new kick-ass presentation, or are you just getting some background for your own knowledge? I know that the SWx World acceptence emails came out in the last few weeks... Speaking of planes - I gotta go catch one. Be back next week to follow up...

Reply to
ed1701

I used it once, probably a couple years ago now. I don't remember the exact circumstance, but a design change late in a project backed me into a corner. That is, I didn't want to take the time to find an cleaner way. I definitely remember having trouble getting the suppression states right. So, this problem has probably been around for some time. I hope I never have to open that model again. what a horror it would be to understand. Complex sketches are bad enough.

The only circumstance I can think of where configurable sketch relations would be really warranted would be a case where the alternative would be suppressing multiple copies of a feature with minor variations, or in- context relations to different places for different instances of a part in an assembly.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

It will probably come in handy at some point to pull off a trick which is otherwise much less doable in SW. No immediate need for it.

I can see this having more widespread use, although I don't use it either. Changing design intent with configs would be useful.

I'd also like to be able to configure the construction state toggle, or switch the sketch used for a feature, which would be very useful.

Just local user group research. I do this every other month or so.

Plus talking about tech issues helps folks focus on constructive topics.

Reply to
matt