Constrain rotate view up direction?

Is there a way to constrain the viewpoint/camera "up" direction while
rotating the view? I my case, I want the y-axis to always point vertically
in the graphics window. I can't seem to get the knack of twisting and
tumbling about the model to get the view I want. Any advice on how best to
control the view?
Thanks.
Mike.
Reply to
Boat
Ahoy Boat, I am not sure why you are at sea with a pea green mouse (!?)....constrain up...not that I am aware of, but you can: - middle mouse double click on a straight edge- including from a sketch and temp axis -to rotate you model about that.
failing that to help you can get about the SW world: -set up named views of your own to quickly revisit favourite places - get you desired view in the window, hit the space bar and pick the first icon, enter a name...pin the menu to access all the time.
-or you could use the arrow keys for pure rotation relative to the screen view. (Shift arrows for rot 90 deg at a time).
-or you use the std views toolbar to realign to a known point like Front or Top if you get lost - you can re-orientate those relative to your model too if you wish - space bar, second icon. (someone here wrote a macro to give an isometric view set like the std views if that is more useful.)
anchors away :o) neil
Reply to
neil
I'm well past being green and seasick... thanks. But not for lack of bobbing, tumbling, and spinning around. I'm more used to animator software, where a 'world' up-direction has a strong and very clear meaning. Even so, they allow you to change that if you like.
I can almost visit all four quadrants in a sorta iso- view after a few more hours of very focused dorking around. The trick is bobbing the model level before spinning to the next quadrant. I suppose I'll eventually learn to do that as I'm spinning it, but that begs the question why unclever software can't do it for you. It's especially disconcerting when zoomed in tight on a small part in a large assembly.
So, I'm wondering if you really learned to like it and wouldn't have it any other way, or just grudgingly stopped whining after awhile, sorta like about water being wet, or sunlight yellow instead of white. ??
Aweigh. And thanks for the tips.
Mike.
Reply to
Boat
Aweigh is it? suppose so when I think of it...
I suppose you know the 'zoom to selection' and 'previous view' commands so that you can jump in and jump again? when you jump in the window rotates about the selection in stead of the screen centre....
I have a pretty good 3d imagination so the orientation doesn't really bother me too much. A lot of the time I am ahead of what is on the screen anyway.
Ahoy matey Arrrrr!
Reply to
neil