Dimension Modify

SW2008 Sp3 While working at a customer site and using 2008, I am unable to use arithmetic symbols to modify the existing value of a dimension while in the sketch mode with the Modify box open. "Help" says this should work and I have used it forever in older versions. At this installation, I receive a "Enter a value...."

Is it something I'm missing or a bug?

Gary

Reply to
gk

=B4Working here and I've never seen it not working, I'm on SP4.0

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

Sometimes equations in dimension modify is flaky if there are units in the mix. Get rid of any stray "deg" or "mm" or "in" suffixes.

Reply to
That70sTick

searched the sw forum and came up with these possibilities:

  1. You make conisder doing this:

You can go to the registry editor and delete the keys under solidworks. I guess these are rewritten when you open Solid works. I once have done this and my problems went away.

"Do it at your own risk"

Yes it is a wauge answer, you may try googling it to find some concrete steps to do it.

Hope I point you in the right direction.

  1. "In some cases, it has been found that this is caused by your computer having multiple instances of an "swvba.tlb" file. The installation of SolidWorks 2008 creates and uses this file from, "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared"; if there is another instance of this file located elsewhere on your computer (for example, "C:\WINDOWS\system32"), then please rename or delete that one.

  2. Try installing the current 4.0 service pack..

hope this helps ya out..

Reply to
tnik

Thanks to all for the suggestions. As this is a customer's site I didn't feel comfortable asking their IT guy to delete SW registry files. I was able to get him to try renaming the swvba.tlb file. He didn't go to the System32 folder, so there may have been another copy their also. Renaming the file caused the Windows installer to start when I invoked SW but after several minutes (of being nervous), SW was back and OK except the original problem hadn't gone away. I requested a reinstall, but nobody was too interested.

Oh, well, out with the trusty calculator.

Gary

Reply to
gk

Quick update - I "bothered" the IT guy again and sure enough, as tnik had posted in 2., there was a second copy of "swvba.tbl" in the "system32" folder. The IT renamed it and after restarting SW, the problem was fixed.

Thanks again!

Gary

Reply to
gk

Glad to hear it was fixed.. I'm really glad that I'm the IT guy around here.. makes it easy to fix crap.. I'd hate to always have to contact someone else to fix problems ;)

Reply to
tnik