Do you use 3D CAD Libraries?

I'm thinking about hiring Part Solutions, Thomas Register or GlobalSpec
to draw my client, SKF Precision Technologies', dovetail and hardened
way slides in all native 3D formats. Is this a good investment? About $10K.
We currently have 2D DWG, DFX and 3D STEP files on line of one size and
you can stretch the saddle and base to your needs. Thanks for your reply.
Reply to
Chuck Lohre
Everything else being equal I'd specify a companies product if it has a 3d CAD model over a another companies product who has only 2d or no model at all. The amount of time saved on a large project is significant.
I would always prefer the model to be in the SolidWorks format but any neutral format will do.
John Layne

John Layne
Thanks, John. One thing PartSolutions tells me is that STEP files don't allow you to move the parts of the slide assembly. Is that true? I will be sure to at least include SolidWorks files. I find that it is the preferred format next to Inventor.
John Layne wrote:
Reply to
Chuck Lohre
Chuck,
A pet peeve of mine is stepping thru a selection template to arrive at a final configuration of a model. Once I download the 3D file I then have to go and insert all the custom/configuration properties such as part number, vendor, vendor number, etc... so that it shows up properly in a BOM.
It would be nice to have the option of a property mapper when you select a SW file download from your site. This would be a one time setup that would map your component data to the SW part/assembly properties based on my company standard. (For example we don't use Part No we use ID).
Just wishing out loud.
Len
Chuck Lohre wrote:
Reply to
lmar
We always look for someone's 3d models when looking for components to use. Saves a ton of time downloading it rather than modeling it up. I'm not sure whether these sights do the actual modeling work or just the hosting of the parts. So if you need any help in modeling the parts up in Solidworks if they're not already done I'd be happy to help out. You can email me at johnatjlhuilcaddotcom substituting the appropriate symbols where needed.
If it's cost prohibitive to make all native assemblies in order to control positions of components, there is an alternative with univeral exports like STEP. Make an export of the non-moving parts (the base) and a separate export of the slide. The user could then make his own assembly with the two files and configure what is needed. Bill
a simple assembly like a slide is just to make a universal export of the non
Reply to
bill allemann
Thanks for everyone's comments. I like the idea of providing the saddle and base (moving parts) seperately. I'll be in touch.
j wrote: > > Chuck Lohre wrote: > > I'm thinking about hiring Part Solutions, Thomas Register or GlobalSpec > > to draw my client, SKF Precision Technologies', dovetail and hardened > > way slides in all native 3D formats. Is this a good investment? About $10K. > > We currently have 2D DWG, DFX and 3D STEP files on line of one size and > > you can stretch the saddle and base to your needs. Thanks for your reply. > We always look for someone's 3d models when looking for components to > use. Saves a ton of time downloading it rather than modeling it up. I'm > not sure whether these sights do the actual modeling work or just the > hosting of the parts. So if you need any help in modeling the parts up > in Solidworks if they're not already done I'd be happy to help out. You > can email me at johnatjlhuilcaddotcom substituting the appropriate > symbols where needed. > >
Reply to
Chuck Lohre