Engrave problem

Hey this seems to have been a problem since forever, I tried finding a solution but couldnt find any...

"The way Solidworks treats fonts in a sketch is to add thickness to them. (which makes perfect sense, as you couldn't create a feature from zero-width text)"

Well, Camworks wants to trace around the letters instead of tracing the letters' centerline. This doubles the length of time required to engrave text, produces inferior looking parts, plus it's just conceptually wrong.

From 2001:

So I have the same problem in 2007... there must have been some solution to this??

Since we arent making it, but getting it done changing the software aint an option, so the solution I need is one where I can send a dxp file saved from my SW drawing.

Reply to
Ronni

...try using the Camworks fonts.

enat

Reply to
pixburghenat

The Camworks font is segmented, but it will work in a pinch. enat

Reply to
pixburghenat

Another way isto use True-Type fonts.

Pick TT fonts which suit your "look" for final stroke width. I have used Arial Rounded & VAG Rounded Bold for a lot of plastic part engraving (I've seen them generically called Poster Fonts).

VAG was created by Volkswagen AG, (similar to the "Lifesaver" candy font) and there are a number of similar fonts that have "round ends" on the open ends of strokes, which allows easy engraving of recessed characters with a round end mill directly.

Using a TT font and putting text in/on a part raises the file size of the part significantly

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Thanks for the input

I have tried to find the fonts you both have mentioned without any luck, seems my google skills arent what they use to.

If you have a link for any of these it would be much appriciated

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Ronni

Single line stroke fonts for minimal work in engraving are obviously best for speed and small file sizes, but when you want or are required by a customer to do more elaborate fonts, you can.

The following URLs are active, though I've not searched them for fonts for a couple years, so I'm not up on who has what fonts.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

The Camworks font is installed with Camworks. Edit the sketch, turn off 'use default font' , click font box, select Camworks font.

enat

Reply to
pixburghenat

oh...goto ftp.featurecam.com try the machine sticks fonts in the fonts folder.

enat

Reply to
pixburghenat