Ergonomic mice?

Hi everyone.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Quill ergonomic mouse" or Quill 'Nib' clickless mouse software using them with SolidWorks. I have a RSI problem and I need to find an alternative to the normal, run-of-the-mill rodent. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences they could share.

Many thanks

Bob Luck

Reply to
Robert Luck

Ahoy Robbie,

I've got no knowin of the mice you speak... seen my share o wharf rats... What I be needin is a more ergonomic version of this here old salty pegleg.

Arrrrrr

Reply to
cadPIRATE

After decades of using mice, I've learned a few things along the way, and many are not directly due to the mouse:

  1. Arm support, shoulder-table height and wrist support may be more important than a particular mouse (& variations of above).

  1. Mouse actions that involved tensed up "hard push" actions (buttons or mouse movement) will cause heavy strain soreness.

  2. Bigger mice are not necessarily better.

  1. Trackpads (or similar tablets) can be a welcome respite for some.

  2. Activity every day outside of "mousing" which will keep hand, wrists, and shoulders active make a giant difference.

So what do I use now? The RadTech BT500 wireless mouse that is so tiny & unrestricted in positions I can hide it in the palm of my closed hand. Initially I thought I'ld use it only for travel. Now I find I use it everywhere, including on my leg, table top, on the corner of my laptops, on the couch beside me.

Yup, there are super-duper 'mice', but I've learned that the ability to think ahead and plan the best method of attack to SolidWorks construction pays off for me (not necessarily others) far more than a mouse with 10 buttons.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

My solution was to learn to use the mouse with either hand. I will switch if there is ever a hint of soreness. I have a dinovo media desktop with a seperate numpad so I move it to the other side as well and switch the mouse buttons so it's always an 'inside' and 'outside' mouse button versus l & r. I use an intellimouse which is symetrical.

It was not easy to learn to use my left hand this way but it was over 8 years ago now and there is no difference for me.

Also, the dinovo media desktop keyboard is extremely low stress for typing - like a laptop keyboard.

But as was mentioned 'other' activity is the best defense against repair expense!

Reply to
Zander

Reply to
Paul Miller

I have great experiences with Wacom tablets. You don't need a big one and you have to get used to it for a week, but after a week your are convinced.

Regards,

JJ

Reply to
JJ

I have found one-and-only-one mouse that works for me so I have one at work, one at home, and have a couple of backups sitting in a drawer for the inevitable day that one of my main-line mice dies. It's an old Logitech Mouseman wheel mouse (I can't tell which number is the part number...sorry). It's odd how they got the ergonomics right back in

2000 then proceeded to screw things up with later releases. I can use this thing for 18 hours at a stretch (yup, my life sometimes sucks) with no issues at all. Other mice get me sore in a few minutes. I am always interested in hearing if there is a new one that might work because the drivers for the extra buttons on the logitech are not compatbile with later windows releases. But I would rather have to use the keyborad for shortcuts than have to get a popping sound every time I rotate my forearm after using one of those other mice.

Good luck with your quest- Ed

Reply to
ed1701

Hi Bob,

I think that everyone do have another best solution: One colleague of mine uses the Wacon tablet, another uses the standerd Dell wireless mouse and I use the Logitech MX Laser mouse. For me it is important to have a wireless mouse which doesn't need to have a mousepad, so I can relocate my mouse everytime on another place on my desk and my arm is in a different position. So I think you have to search for a best solution for your self, not all inventions works well for you: I got really pain in my wrist when I work with a mousepad with a anti-RSI jel-cushion.

\/\/im

"Robert Luck" schreef in bericht news:Qdiuf.57865$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
\/\/im

I learnt to mouse left handed some years ago when tendosynivitis developed in my right hand. I followed the rules and all was well. That is until I broke the scaphoid in my left three weeks ago. I am desperate to go back to work and I see the adoption of an alternative point & click method for my right hand as a possible solution. Because of tendosynivitis I find it is the click and click'n'drag functions that play havoc with my right hand, hence my interest in QuillNib software which according to their literature, does away with the need to click. But I do wonder if this software would work smoothly with SW given the amount of right clicking and multiple point selection that I do (I am a CAM programmer using SolidCAM which runs inside SW).

Thanks for the input

Reply to
Robert Luck

Thanks for that. Indeed, a trackball is one of my options and I quite like the look of the ITAC Systems "evolution" which allows for click'n'drag to be done without holding down a button.

Reply to
Robert Luck

The first thing I did to reduce rsi was switch from a mouse to a trackball. I prefer an ambidextrous trackball because the second way I reduce rsi is to shift from left to right hand periodically. I also use different types of device for different operations, for example, I use a sketch pen in my right hand to point and the select button in my left.

I stay away from "ergonomic" devices because they are designed to lock your hand in one position.

Reply to
JKimmel

One other thing: similiar to a trackball - I run my mouse at max. 'speed' or motion or whatever that's called. Meaning that I only need to move my hand side to side about 3/4 of an inch to traverse the entire screen, this means I never have to lift my hand - to me this is a similiar benefit to a trackball. Again, hard to get used to at first but after 1 day it's second nature.

Reply to
Zander

Robert, I have been using a Logitech "Marble Mouse" trackball for some years now because of rsi problems. Being able to keep my hand immobile and WARM makes the world of difference to me. I have four of these devices and I won't trade them for newer trackballs. This particular trackball is bilaterally symmetrical, which means that you can reverse the left and mouse buttons (with the driver) and use it the same with either hand. It's an optical device, meaning there are no internal wheels to get gummed up. You still have to pick up and wipe off the ball with your palm occasionally, but not every few minutes. The ball is farthest from the wrist in the exact middle, and is thus moved with the index and middle fingers (the thumb and third-finger or pinkie being used to actuate the buttons). Just like any different mouse device, it takes some getting used to, but I found it became second-nature very quickly.

The driver includes an option to hold both buttons at the same time for scrolling, and you CAN hold down the ALT, SHIFT or CTRL buttons while holding both mouse buttons down to emulate the actions of the scroll wheel in SolidWorks. I don't favor that particularly, preferring to use an old Spaceball (3003C), but it's an option. I'm pretty sure these devices are still available (both trackball and Spaceball).

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet> I learnt to mouse left handed some years ago when tendosynivitis developed

Reply to
Sporkman

"Robert Luck" a écrit dans le message de news: Qdiuf.57865$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

My .01 Eu: I have my mouse settings such as I do not have to move the wrist to cross the screen, I can do so just by moving my fingers. No wrist problem so far, but maybe I do not work hard enough ;=)))

I case it could help...

JM

Reply to
Jean Marc

"Jean Marc" a écrit dans le message de news:

43bb87c6$0$13998$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Correction: the wrist does rotate a bit, but the forearm does not move.

Reply to
Jean Marc

Thanks for that Mark. I agree very much with your observations about keeping the hand warm and immobile. I have found that the RSI wrist brace from ThermoSkin has relieved the pain in my hand to a very great extent and would recommend thet product unreservedly.

I have looked at the LogiTech "MarbleBall" in the flesh and I didn't like it as I found the thumb position for controlling the ball a little uncomfortable. The trackball I think I am going to go for is the MouseTrak Evolution from ITAC Systems, with possibly the Expert Pro from Kensington as second choice. What attacts me about these is the ability to prgogram an auxilary button to do mouse things like click'n'drag, or make the ball zoom/pan - this would relieve the strain on my tendons and I can use my palm to direct the ball.

One thing I am curious about. Some time ago SolidWorks had a Solution partner in Denmark called Dimentor who had a very interesting product called "Inspector" which purported to combine a mouse and a trackball. See the link below.

when you try the manufactures link from that page all you get is some run of the mill internet shopping directory. Any ideas what happened to them?

Bob

Reply to
Robert Luck

Just one note, Robert . . . the MarbleBall is NOT the same as the Marble Mouse trackball. The one, as you say, is actuated with the thumb, which I also find is very cumbersome and can quickly become even painful. The other that I use is actuated with the index finger and middle finger.

No, I don't know anthing about the mouse/trackball combo you mention. I see the SolidWorks blurb from the link you gave, but I also end up on an unrelated page that indicates to me that the Dimentor link is dead or inactive.

Reply to
Sporkman

With the advent of smarter trackpad & Waom-like tablets, allowing such things as tapping to click/dbl click & dual fingers to scroll anywhere we are entering an advanced funtionality arena that bodes well for complex software in MY Opinion.

The reason I think this is good is that without exception over 20 years, the larger the mice, the more likely there was hand, wrist & finger pain, & the more I needed special positioning ti do nearly stress free work

Bo

Reply to
Bo