formatting drawing tables

Why does SWx feel it cannot let you FULLY control the width of the column in a table (revision, etc..). For example I want to change the width of the column to 12mm from its default 18.77mm. Reason being is that there is AT LEAST 8mm of wasted space on either side of the text. So I go to 'formatting' and change the number to 12mm...thenSWx comes back and says "lease enter a number greater than or equal to 18.7657... and less than or equal to 1000000". Steam is coming out of my ears at this point. What in the #$%@ are they thinking? If I want to make my column 12mm I should have the freedom to do so...

Are there any work arounds? You think they would have fixed this shortcoming in 2005. Sorry, Im taking my happy pill now. Craig

PS to SWx: Why the hell would I want to make my column width 1000000mm? Duh.

Reply to
Craig

No workarounds. I agree that this is silly.

Perhaps they should limit it to something like 30 mm?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

If the limit was set to 30mm, then someone would just say "If I want to make my column 35mm I should have the freedom to do so..." ;~)

The upper number, as ridiculous as it may sound, needs to stay extremely high for that purpose. I do think that the lower number shouldn't be limited though (well maybe .0000001mm). I do like Tables, but they take up way too much real estate and you are very limited on how you can control the sizes. Maybe if we all put in an E.R. instead of venting here, something may get done about it in a couple of SPs.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

"Seth Renigar" wrote in news:gyi6d.16897$n% snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I was trying to be subtly sarcastic. What's the smiley for subtle sarcasm?

Craig's original post was a bit contradictory in that he wanted full control to apply lower limits that may seem too low to the developers, but on the other side, he complains about an upper limit that seems to high. Perhaps he was sarcastically pointing out the inconsistency.

Rant:

My basic question for the table developer is, why do we have automatic word wrap and then limits on column sizing? If I specify a column that's too narrow, let the text be wrapped, and let me specify what margin space determines when it wraps. If a simgle word wraps, that's my problem (or my organization's problem).

Table formatting is often very controlled by company standards, and SW shouldn't force us to abandon those standards because of it's limitations. I know SW takes that idea very seriously, but they failed on this one.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Maybe if we all put in an

I forgot to mention... I have submitted an ER, and griped during 04 and 05 beta programs. Now if everybody who want's this fixed takes the 2 minutes to submit the ER, it might get fixed.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Dale,

Good point.

More like ridiculously high, or maybe unreasonably dumb... BUT its not ridiculous to get rid of wasted space in your columns.

Craig

Reply to
Craig