gear simulation vs regular mates

I am not quite what the difference is. As I have understood it, assemblies with different part files in it can be mated in such a way that you can get dynamic motion to occur. So my thinking would be that if you turn one part file, everything else hsould turn accordingly.

Could someone give me a heads up as to why you would want to use Gear mates to drive the same thing?

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

Arthur,

Prior to 2004 you couldn't have a turning cylinder drive another without a complicated set of shafts and universals or something similar. You could do levers and cams and such, but not gears or belts.

Gear mates allows you to drive one shaft or gear with another with a ratio. You needed a third party program to do that before.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

I just want to quickly mention that 2001Plus did introduce a way to make gears turn without doing any fancy mating... and that is with Physical Dynamics.

You can download an example here...

I'm assuming this is what Arther meant with his question... "why you would want to use Gear mates to drive the same thing?"

As soon as you try the example file I made or any other for that matter, you will realize why SolidWorks introduced the Gear Mate...

performance!

Physical dynamics is a huge CPU hog, and Gear Mates are such a practical way around that problem.

Cheers, Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

I've used the dynamic motion to evaluate mating gear teeth and then generated an avi of the motion for the customer. The purpose was to visually evaluate the clearance changing the gearing centers and to determine the minimum center distance to mate two elements with different pressure angles. This was necessary to solve an emergency situation. I tried this simulation of two different speed PCs (800 Mz and 1.8 Gz) and didn't notice an appreciable difference in performance. I found that there was a momentary lapse in the simulation before the dynamic motion took place. I also observed that I had to move the mating elements very slowly. I translated the mesh until I observed the minimum clearance then used the measure tool for the normal distance.

Reply to
Tony