hatch patterns discoveries

I just discovered that SolidWorks hatch patterns (defined in sldwks.ptn file) are defined exactly the same way as in Autocad (acad.pat). So if you need a special hatch pattern, just download one for Autocad (there are plenty of free ones around) or use one of the many available tools to generate it, then cut/paste in the sldwks.ptn file. Great, isn't it ?

-- Philippe Guglielmetti -

Philippe Guglielmetti

Interesting. I wonder if there is some standard for pattern definitions, or if Adesk just forgot to patent theirs.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Thanks, Kman

Reply to
Kman

Well, if you can patent a text file format as simple as .pat

I shall patent "a sequence of characters grouped in words according to a set syntactic and lexical rules defining a human readable language" and you will all have to pay me when writing a text. Hey wait! it would even apply to any other patent!

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Good one, but I think I can scratch up some prior art.

What prompted me to ask the question was the fact that MS copyrighted using XML to store word processor and spreadsheet files. I can easily be remembering that wrong, but that's what prompted the question.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Harley Davidson even has a patent on the sound off there motorcyle

BertM

"Dale Dunn" schreef in bericht news:Xns94D97C1666CE0daledunnatjamestoolc@65.24.7.150...

Reply to
BertM

Actually it seems they tried for a patent but gave up.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Yes, that states in the article I gave the link from How to define a two cilinder twin ? see

"Corey Scheich" schreef in bericht news:c6oooh$edbt0$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-200385.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
BertM

USPTO definitely doesn't care. We will to solve this in court, Dale...

Exactly my point. MS now has more and better attorneys than programmers.

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti