Hole Callout - Letter drill size?

SW2006sp5, using the hole wizard I placed several letter sized holes, in the drawing the hole callout returns a decimal sized hole (.261 or whatever) rather than the expected F (or whatever), is there a "smart" way to make it read 'F' or 'W' or whatever I input in the model?

Thanks

Reply to
wc

WC,

You might not be getting a response to your question because this isn't a common practice. I also wouldn't say that calling out the bit size is "expected". Normally, process specific notes are not added to the drawing (unless you are making a process drawing). Calling out the bit instead of the actual hole size is reference to the process. It also removes your ability to tolerance the hole as you are not longer calling out an actual diameter. With that said, I don't believe theres an automatic way to have SW call out the hole by it's bit size. There may be a look up table that is used by SW to name the hole features in the model mode. I'm not sure where that would be though.

Matt Lorono

of

fcsuper

Thank you for the reply, I was making an 'in house' drawing and a couple of our machinists are rather old-school, ie don't quite grasp ansi standards/symbols. I had assumed that since a letter size drilled hole was available in the Hole Wizard I would be able to retrieve the hole size in the Hole Callout...

wc

Reply to
wc

Change the Dimension Text over in the Dimension Properties, on the left, from to . Down in the lower left corner of the Dimension Text box is a button called Variables, click on that and you can see all the potential system variables that you can use on your dimension text.

If you want all your hole callouts to show the you can modify the calloutformat.txt file found in C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\lang\english. Be sure to back-up before modifying. Also, if all your users need access to these standards, copy the file out to the network and set a path under System Options >

File Locations > Hole Callout Format File.

I will usually change this callout on an as needed basis on the shop drawings we create for our guys. Sometimes the drill size is good enough for size and tolerance.

Cheers,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood