How to create partial sections

I have a two questions about sections:

  1. I'd like to create a section in an assembly that only sections certain parts. For example, a section that cuts an external housing and reveals the complete internal mechanisms.

  1. I'd also like to create a section that takes a pie shaped cut out of an assembly. Using a pie as an example, if you section it using two perpedicular planes (x and y) you would end up with only 1/4 of the pie. I want to end up with 3/4 of the pie.

Can either of these be easily done in Solidworks without actually cutting the parts indivudally. I hope I explained that well enough. If not please let me know and I'll try again.

Thanks,

adam

Reply to
Adam Meyer

To section certain parts, add those parts to the Feature Scope. To do the pie shaped section, make your cutting sketch be pie shaped and apply the feature scope accordingly..

I'm assuming these questions are not related to a drawing, therefore these cuts are done in the assy, not the parts.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Use an assembly cut. sketch on a plane perpendicular to your two cut planes a box that is coincident to the two cut planes and the other side of the box should encompass the area you want removed. Insert an assembly cut. this will cut through every part that is currently in the assembly. You can later add and remove parts from the scope of the cut. this way you can skip over parts that you don't want cut.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Thanks guys, that worked perfectly!