How to do simulation/animate for a spring?

How do you do simulation/animate of compression/extension for a spring. I have a downloaded model from Content Central (by Scott Reed Synectic Engineering, Inc.Compression Spring - Ground Ends -)

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

make your spring associative to the parts it mates to and animate thier movement it should update for the animation.

I did something similar with a spring clip asociated the clip with a part that was only planes and an axis and rotated the empty part to cause the spring clip to update.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

If you don't need to watch it change length, make some configurations of the spring that have different values for the pitch of the helix.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

check out

There is some great answers to your question there

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

I'm by no means a pro and had to do the same recently. To get the job done, I modeled half the spring, created an assembly of two halves and mating them to leave just linear motion. I then inserted that assembly into my main assembly as a flexible assembly and mated each end of the spring assembly to different parts in my main assembly. I can not move given parts and watch the spring compress and extend based on the space available for it. True the spring middle interferes with itself when compressed, but I'm the only one who knows!

Reply to
Keith Streich

I made a small example and will send it to you. I will send the files and the AVI.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Reply to
Brent Bayer

I make springs with the length driven by then length of a segment in a

3D sketch. You could take such a model and associate the sketch endpoints to parts in assembly.

I have a torsion spring model at the following location:

It's length is driven by a line in a sketch. It could readily be modified into an extension or compression spring.

Reply to
TheTick