insert object,..crash!

SW 2003 sp4 W2000 sp3 When I try to insert an object (bmp, jpg,.etc) into a drawing, my computer crashes totally! So it doesn't shut down only SW but the whole system goes flat. I tried it in SW 2004 to, there the same problem! What can be wrong!

Reply to
eric

Eric,

Sounds like something may be wrong with the Windows OLE32 files. MS products (like office) sometimes overwrite the original system files. I've seen this cause problems on more than one occasion. What OS are you running ? Does it crash to a blue screen (NT, Win2000) ?

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Eric,

Don't do that! 8^) And what I mean by that is it does have problems that I've seen as well in the past and in this ng.

As Mark said, it is a linking problem with what Windows and SW have hooked up for OLE or ActiveX or something at one time was installed which messed up the link or there was no program which was installed to handle image files?

So, to avoid this all together, do it the simple and fast way, just copy/paste the image(s), that is, open the image in a paint program (like PaintShopPro) and ctrl-c, then ctrl-v in SW drawing. And, when editing, just copy/paste the attached image(s) into your favorite paint program and copy/paste when you are finished.

Otherwise, if you do not have a paint program, you can try and resolve this by installing M$ Photo Editor from the M$ Office CD, this should resolve the OLE link.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I have recently installed irfanview for viewing pictures, could this be causing the problem?

Reply to
eric

Eric,

I don't know anything about that program. Did SW it work properly prior to installing it ?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Indeed everything is fine when you have installed photoeditor again! But,.. as soon as you alter the preffered program to open the image files to another program (in my case irfanview) it crashes again. So I think i leave it this way and just use copy/paste to get the images in. Thanks!

Reply to
eric