reprodcible crash with inserted excel object

I have found a problem that I can reproduce at will on my machine. If I open up a drawing (new or existing) and insert an excel sheet object (new or from file), I can generate a crash with one simple step. Click to add data to any one of the cells and click alt-. (alt-period) on the numeric keypad. I haven't tried the period on the regular keypad yet. I found this accidentally when trying to hit alt-0216 for the diameter symbol and hit the period instead of the 0.

Can anyone else reproduce this. I tried the same key combination in excel proper and there were no problems. Is this an undocumented feature to use when you don't feel like making progress on any projects that day and want to redo a bunch of drawing work you had done without saving?

I will send this to my VAR, but I often get a faster response here so maybe someone will want ot give it a try.

Win2000 sp3 SW2004 sp3

MHill

Reply to
MHill

interesting, so I tried it on SW2003 SP3.0 / Win2K / P3-800 The Alt-. keystrokes did not insert anything, did not cause a crash.

I'm Larry today.

Reply to
Moe_Larry_Curly

I tried Win XP SP? and SW2004 SP3 It locks up my SW session but only if I hit (Alt-Period-Period) If I do the same thing in Excel alone It just BONGs.

Just for fun I tried 2003 SP 5.1 and nothing adverse happened.

Office 2000 (may make a difference)

Maybe SW doesn't know what to do with the BONG that excel sends it's way anymore ;^)

In a note it BONGS on the second Period.

Puzzeling. Now will SW blame it on MS and then MS will blame it on SW and we will all loose a days work because we forgot to save our work and there is no autosave which is for good reasons since saving bloated files every 5 or 15 minutes would take way to damn long.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I just tried SW2004 SP3.0, WinXP SP1, Office 2003.

  1. Open new drawing.
  2. Insert object
  3. Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet
  4. Enter data in the cell

It appeared that whatever I did worked fine, whether I entered the period or numbers, 2 characters or 10, etc.

However, I found that if I repeat the entering on a cell that already has something in it, I can kill it. If I went back in an overwrite mode to a cell containing something, it would still work. But if I attempted to add to the cell, hitting the Alt period would kill it. And it requires killing SW & Excel to get it going again.

So, I can repeatably kill it by adding Alt-period to a cell already containing data.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I try to avoid inserting objects.

Respect

Reply to
cadishaq

Solidworks has assigned an SPR to this issue with high priority. The SPR is number 220365.

I thought someone might be interested to know.

MHill

MHill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Reply to
MHill

Did you pass on the discoveries I made about how & when things happen? I figure the more info they have, the better.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in news:c7b0gg$1lhk2$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-201804.news.uni-berlin.de:

Yes I did. I sent them all of the responses I got here to show the different ways to make it happen. My VAR said he had difficulty reproducing it but a phone conversation cleared up a misunderstanding. When I said I pressed "alt-." he took it literally to mean "alt" "-" ".". I guess I thought the ascii character shortcut notation that I used was more common.

He said he was using winXP and office 2003 and so it doesn't seam to be related to OS or Office version because both of his are different than mine.

MHill

Reply to
MHill