SW2004 sp 1.0 Drawings SLOW

After installing the SP 1.0 for SW 2004 yesterday on 4 of our seats, we all have encountered extremely slow view dragging as well as moving of blocks on the sheet. By slow I mean when you click on the view and move it, it moves a bit, waits 2 seconds, moves again, waits 2 second and finally catches up with my mouse. This is very unproductive. One of the guys even says it's happening when moving dimensions. With the odds of all of us here having this issue after SP 1.0 many of you must have it to. Anyone? Solidworks, are you guys going to fix this ASAP? If not I'm re-installing SP 0.

Lon Flickinger Designer SL-MTI

snipped-for-privacy@SLMTI.com

Reply to
Lon Flickinger

Interesting, I had just the opposite effect. A drawing that was a little slow when moving views yesterday seems faster today (I upgraded about 5 minutes ago).

I also like the new ballooning method.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

I'll have to kind of back up Lon on this one. I didn't really notice anything with the moving of views, but I did feel like I was waiting an extra `beat' when dragging dimensions and notes around. Very unscientific of me, I know. I base my observation on that fact that I get used to working at a certain pace. The software kind of dictates the speed that I work at and all of a sudden after up-grading to sp1, I notice that I am waiting just a bit more than I used to when clicking on and then moving dimensions and annotations.

On the plus side, I also really like the new ballooning method. I don't do a lot of surface creation, so cannot comment on the problems that have been mentioned in different threads.

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

I just discovered another part to this performance bug. I backed out of my drawing and Solidworks all together, restarted Solidworks and re-opened my drawing. I grabbed a drawing view and it moved smooth as silk and fast like normal, however after being in the drawing for about 3 minutes, the view/block dragging speed started degrading until finally it was slower than hell again like I mentioned above. Try it, I bet you get the same results. Just stay in the drawing a while and move some views around save rebuild etc. The dragging speed will slow down enormously.

Lon

Reply to
Lon Flickinger

Heck, I created a new drawing of a simple part and within a mater of seconds of moving the views around it started getting very slow. I got pit of the drawing not SolidWorks and it was back to normal. After dragging the view up and down a few times it gradually got slower and slower. Again this is a very small simple part.

Reply to
SWuser

Lon,

I have had this problem since SW2003 approx. SP3. It only happens on SOME of my more complicated assembly drawings, but not all of them. And yes, it would do this when trying to drag views, dimensions, sketch geometry, or notes, as well as a delay with all RMB menus, delay when double clicking note text to edit, among other general slow-downs.

Like I said, it only does this with certain complicated drawings. I can have 2 equally complicated drawings open, and when the "slow-down" hits one of them, I can ctrl-tab to the other drawing and everything is fine. Ctrl-tab back to the original one and it is still SLOW.

I have sent files to my VAR, and of course they could not reproduce this... But, like you said, restarting SW usually helps, for a while anyway. I just don't have time to close document, close SW, open SW, and open documents all of the time so I just deal with it.

I have considered that it may possibly be a video driver problem. But I have never tried another driver since it is not on my top-10 list. I may go several weeks without a problem. Then again, I may have this problem several times in one day. I can live with that for now, but it may be something you could try if you can't live with it.

Seth Renigar

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Lon, Yep, I see it now. One thing you can do while we work at getting this fixed is to turn off "Show contents while dragging drawing view".

I'm sure someone has turned this in by now, but I'll send it off to my VAR and see what happens.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Lon, Yep, I see it now. One thing you can do while we work at getting this fixed is to turn off "Show contents while dragging drawing view".

I'm sure someone has turned this in by now, but I'll send it off to my VAR and see what happens.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Lon, Yep, I see it now. One thing you can do while we work at getting this fixed is to turn off "Show contents while dragging drawing view".

I'm sure someone has turned this in by now, but I'll send it off to my VAR and see what happens.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Lon, I see it now. While it's getting fixed, try turning off "Show contents when dragging drawing view".

I'm submitting this to the VAR.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

I'm still on 2004/SP0 and noticed my system will not only slow down and CTD when applying multiple sections in a drawing. First thought is it's a video problem because sometimes (not always) when switching between a drawing to part, the drawing is still hanging in there visually (double images of feature manager etc...) However, I can shut down SW, restart, open both drawing and part files and all is fine. Doesn't happen every time but often enough to know something isn't right with SW.

Video Card: Quardo4 XGL750 and latest drivers

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Try the same simple DRW in 2003 SP4 with no problems at all.

Reply to
SWuser

Thanks Richard,

It never crossed my mind to turn off show contents while dragging. That will have to be a temp work around until they figure out what is going on.

BTW I opend the same drw in 2003 SP4 and I did not see the problem.

Reply to
SWuser