Sp 4.1 drawings with excel bom

Since early april when Sp 4.0 came out we've been having troubles opening large assembly drawing. A 10 meg 5 page drawing that took 20
sec to open with sp 3.4 now takes about 10 mins in sp 4.0 and sp 4.1. Since I had to stay with at least Sp4.0 to be able to upgrade my Cosmos to sp 4.0. I had to open the assembly model first fully resolve than open the drawing. 99% of our assembly drawings have an excel based BOM. Yesterday I deleted the excel BOM in a large assembly drawing, and inserted a BOM table. The drawing opens fine now. There seems to be some conflict going on in the back ground with sw and excel since sp 4.0.
That's quite an important observation - have you turned it in to your VAR?
WT

Yes Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Shame it's too late to make SP5.0 so they might fix that one in SP0 for 2007 :)
John Layne www.solidengineering.co.nz

I have the same problem with excel based BOM. I've stopped using excel based BOM.
I don't have the problem using the regular BOM.

Probably their way of fading out the Excel BOM's. Discourage use of Excel BOM's by adding bugs. In turn encouraging the use of their table based BOM's. Probably won't even have the ability to do Excel based in another couple of releases.
I've got to admit though. Overall I like the table based BOM's a lot better. It does have it's quirks though. And there may be some functionality missing that Excel based BOM's may have. But nothing that I ever need to use. Table based are a lot faster too.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

Are you using PDM Works on Windows Server 2003. We found that SP 4.0 of PDMW is much more sensitive to the Microsoft Hotfix patch being applied to the server. We saw similar time to open until the patch was applied. Brad