library feature - top down

hi, I have a situation where a main assembly has 2 sub-assemblies...like this...

Top Assy |_Sub-Assy 1 (plate) |_Sub-Assy 2 (pin)

I'd like to have the pin automatically create a hole where it is inserted into the plate. Is this possible? maybe through library feature that was part of the pin?

Reply to
goatlip

Are the pin & plate actually assemblies, or is each one a part?

Either way, the method is to edit the plate in the context of the Top Assy. Start a new sketch on the surface of it. Select the OD of the pin and convert it. Then extrude cut the hole in the plate. What you end up with is the hole follows the pin location.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You'll have to manually insert the library feature, and add in-context relations to the pin. For more automation, you'll have to submit an ER.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yes, true. That is typical top down methodology...but it doesn't work either, because "the [plate] part has features created in the context" of the plate assy.

What I'm talking about is automation of component installation. What if every time you had to insert a pin it would automatically make the holes in the plate sub-assembly.

about, because of that little problem with "This part has features created in the context of another assembly..." So what you would have to do is open the plate sub-assy, create the hole in the plate part , go back to the top assy, and then mate the pin to the hole in the top assy.

I'll think I'll have to write a program that finds pin location in the top assy, stores it, opens the plate sub-assy and adds the holes.... unless someone know another way... thanks.

Reply to
goatlip

oh, and we cant have multiple contexts for parts in assemblies...possible to go to far out of scope.

Reply to
goatlip

I think your answer is the new "indent" feature in solidworks 2005... it has an option to CUT a hole instead of indent. nice part about this command is that you can cut a clearance hole. In otherwords you can have the hole be just alittle bit bigger than the pin -- by taking advantage of the offset feature inside the "indent" command.

Another option would be to use the "cavity" feature & actually subtract the pin from the plate. However this would produce a hole that is the exact same size as the pin - no clearance.

Hope that helps Steve Tietz

Reply to
Steve Tietz

What about a slightly different method that would in fact do the automation of component installation as you wish. Instead of placing the pin and using it to create the hole, why not create the hole (using hole wizard preferably), insert one pin into one of the holes, and use component patterns based on the hole feature in the plate. This way, if you add a hole, a pin will automatically be placed into this new hole. And vise versa, if you remove a hole, a pin will be removed automatically.

I don't know if this is what you are after or not. But I use this method a lot on final assemblies with fasteners and such.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

This has always annoyed me. You can only create 'in context' reference in one assembly with any given part.

So for instance if you have a sub assembly with a plate mounted to a motor and then a top level assembly where the plate and motor are mounted to a frame: The plate cannot have an 'in context' hole pattern in the sub assembly for the motor mounting *and* an 'in context' hole pattern in the top level assembly for mounting to the frame.

I'm used to Pro/E allowing any given part to have several external references dependent on any number of other parts or assemblies.

This wouldn't be such a problem in SW if they also allowed reference patterns (The closest thing SW has is derived patterns) for features (another Pro/E thing).

Regards,

Reply to
Anonymous

This is not true. Under Options>System Options>External References, check "Allow multiple in contexts for parts... blah...blah...blah". This allows in-context from multiple assemblies.

I do this all the time. You have to be careful though. It can be dangerous...

Reply to
Seth Renigar