load SWX2005 from hard-drive copy of CDs

Just checking to be sure I am not missing a better option...

Because of the windows installer method of installing and service-packing SWx it is convenient to just copy the 3 CD's to the hard drive and install from there (that way we don't need to dig out the CD's again when it is service pack time, if we need to roll things back, etc).

The problem is that the installation can't figure out how to jump to the copy of CD2 and CD3 to find the .cab files in swwi\data, nor can I direct the installer to the correct directory when it can't find the files. My solution was just to dump all of the .cab files into the swwi\data directory for the copy of CD1. I searched the newsgroup and found someone else used the same solution when 2004 came out. Is this THE way to go, or is there a better option that I am missing? Are there any known pitfalls?

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

If you install all 3 CD's into one directory, you have to install them all into a one directory called (EX: C:\SWWI) When you copy the CD's into that Directory don't make CD1, CD2, & CD3 folders. Just copy each CD into that SWWI folder and when it asks you to overwrite a file you do it. I know it sounds strange but that is how you are suppose to do it. It will work trust me.

But Honestly Ed! If your looking at doing this then you should really make an Admin Image on a server and install from that. Then when a SP comes out you upgrade the Admin install. Then after the SP is upgraded and a user starts SW, It will inform the user that there is a new version and it will ask them to install it directly from the Admin image. It's pretty sweet and I have setup one of my systems like this and works very well. There are a lot of my customers that are doing the very some process with the Admin and they are not having any problems at all with it. The only thing I know you have to do is you have to install directly at the server station... That's it.

Best Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP

Reply to
Scott

Thanks, Scott... always good to hear from you. We will be trying the admin image at work - it does sound like a VERY sweet deal. My question related to my system at home (no network). I was too nervous to try dumping all the CD files into one bucket, but I will do that from now on (unless I hear a horror story). I'm suprised and maybe a little sad that our friends at SolidWorks don't even bother to include a little .txt file on the CD to let us know your tip if that is 'how we are supposed to do it'.

-Ed

service-packing

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Ed,

That is what was sugested by my VAR, and I have done this since 2004 with no probs. I install all contents of all 3 CD's into one dir C:SW2005_Install. When Windows complains about there already being a file called Setup.bat just overight in each case. It's worked like a charm for me so far. I can't say about the Admin Image, I'm selfemployed in my basement, home network.

HTH, Muggs

Hey everyone I answered a question for Ed, I answered a question for Ed!!!

Reply to
Muggs

Ed,

You can copy the CD's to your HDD like I mentrioned, but you will never be able to remove it, because when you upgrade it will look at the place at where you install the intial SW at. IMHO, if your going to do that just do an admin image. However I wonder what uses up the most Disk space.... An Admin image or copying all the CD's to your HDD.

My Admin Image folder Size is 2.7GB. If you copy the CD's to your HDD check the amount of Diskspace used. If you exceed 2.7 then if I were you, I would use the Admin image. I know disk space is cheap, but it's still disk space that could be used for other things.

I have one computer that is on a networkof 3 others, but I only installed the Admin and SW on that 1computer (For testing). I could use that Image for all my other systems, but I have each one done differently, depending on what kind of calls come in to me.

I hope to see you at SWWC this year. I'm sure you will be there. Maybe I'll make a CD of what I wanted you to see last year.

Best Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP

Reply to
Scott

The Solidworks 2004 CD is 2.2 Gig on my hard-drive See you in Orlando.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton
2.7 is with SW05 - See you there!

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I have been doing it for quite some time by copying all the CDs into a single folder on a network drive. Works great - no issues - no more CD flipping.

I have chosen not to use an Admin image because I don't necessarily want all copies to update at the same time. Sometimes a user is quite happy with how his machine is running, so I leave it alone until an issue arises, or I see a bug that really needs to be addressed - such as SW2005 weld symbols, etc. It also gives us a way to check out different bugs - multiple versions available.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

If that's the case you could just not upgrade the admin image to the latest SP. then you wouldn't have to worry about it. But then there is testing...

Regards,

Reply to
Scott