Offset work plane using equation value

Hi:
I am trying to place a workplane offset from another workplane using an equation. Can you not just type the name of the variable in the
offset distance box when creating or editing the plane? I can't get it to work this way. As an example, let's say I create an equation in the form
"dist"
Can you not just type "dist" in the plane's offset entry box?
Thx

Go into your SolidWorks window, Control Grab the one of the 3 orthogonal planes you want and drag them and set or leave the default distance.
Then go to Tools-Equations and set up for a New equation. Double click that new plane and click the offset dimension, which will appear in the equation editor followed by an equal sign, & next click the origin plane you offset it from. That is it.
Bo

Actually, I steered you a bit wrong. You can assign the value of the distance of the offset without an equation, by just doing the start of what I noted above.
It is when you want that distance to be calculated using other variables that you need the equation.
Bo

OK, but is this the only way - you cant just type the name of a variable in the dim box when you edit the plane?
thx

For calculated plane positions, when you click on a dimension, it is added to the formula, and that is the only way I do it.
You can use a spreadsheet to drive a design, and that can contain dimensions to control planes for families of parts, though I've not had reason to do that myself.
Bo

I feel your pain. I have wished for this since I started using SW. The way that Bo described is the simplest way to do this. Kind of ass backwards, if you ask me, but there really isn't a good option. It would be so handy to have an equation for something like wall thickness, for example, be able to use that as an extrusion length, in sketches, etc. and if a change is needed, make one change to the equation, and the thickness changes everywhere. While this can be done the SW way, AFAIK each place that it is used a new equation is needed. Crappy and time consuming. They could certainly do better, but it isn't flashy enough for the marketing guys I guess.

I may not be understanding correctly, but would linked values be of any use?
On Jun 28, 7:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yup, that is a really handy quicker way of making A = B without going to "write" an equation.
On Jun 28, 9:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Interesting idea. I played with it a bit, and yes, it does work. If I want and extrusion to be a particular length, I first create the extrusion, then double click on the icon in the feature manager (not the name), then double click on the dimension in the graphics window, then click the little black arrow, then click on 'Link Value', then click on the little black arrow in the popup window, then click on the link name (assuming it already exists), then click on 'OK', and then click the green checkmark. As opposed to just entering the name in the original feature properties window (or better yet, a dropdown list). If I count right, that's 10 extra mouse clicks just to link one dimension. Not very productive. Or am I missing something easier?

Ed, when in a sketch, just select two dimensions, right click and select LINK. That is it.
Bo
OUR REF: BBL/IRD/CGX//026/08 FROM THE DESK OF Mr. Kristian F. Ostick DIRECTOR, OFFSHORE BANKING HSBC PLC, LONDON
Dear Sir/ Beneficiary,
I am Mr. Kristian F. Ostick the Executive Head offshore account department at HSBC PLC, London, personally I communicated with you to disclose a mutual outstanding transaction which will benefit us about US$90,000,000 (Ninety Million U.S Dollar) within the next weeks as soon as you are willing and ready to co-operate in this transaction.
During the auditing and closing of all financial records at the HSBC Account Department 2011 annual Debit and deposited fund confirmation, it was discovered from the records of outstanding Investment fund deposited by a foreign Investor (Mr. F.JOEL WAWORUNDENG ) this Investor deposited the sum US$90,000,000 (Ninety Million U.S Dollar) has been floating since 2009 with HSBC PLC ,offshore Investment account and after my Investigations to locate the beneficiary (Mr.F.JOEL WAWORUNDENG) address at Indonesia to found out this man was among the people who died at the Tsunami disaster in 2011 , also all efforts to get the relatives of this beneficiary was abortive.
On a second attempt , I also review the offshore Investment documentations which was deposited at my department and also confirm that this fund was deposited as Investment Lodgement deposit by the contractor whereby the customer have not registered anybody/company name as next of kin to this fund. Prior to my confirmation on this Investment fund documentation I realized on the documentation that this fund was not declared to the British Government during the time of deposit by the deceased beneficiary.
I therefore seek your assistance to stand as his next of kin for this Investment fund , since all documentations and proof of this deposited fund are on my department we can put a claim proposal letter to HSBC Bank , to re-claim the deposited funds through the British International Investment proclamation ACT which will enable the HSBC London to release and transfer the heir/ fund to your Bank account .
Moreover, with my position at HSBC account Department we can successfully claim the fund and you will get 40% = US$36,000,000 (Forty Million U.S Dollar) of the US$90,000,000 (Ninety Million U.S Dollar) as your personal share and I will get 60% as my share.
The claim process for this transaction will commence as soon as you are willing and ready to keep this deal confidential so we can work together, the fund will be transferred to your designated Bank account by HSBC PLC as soon as you start the claim process at the account department.
Please email me on this my private email: snipped-for-privacy@o2.pl
Yours faithfully Mr. Kristian F. Ostick