Open GL - or not

I notice that Solidworks has an option for using (or not using) Open GL. What would be the advantage of selecting the Open GL option? (S/W 2007, NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL Video Card)

Reply to
Jack

The option is to use software OGL instead of hardware OGL, so there is no benefit for computers with OGL accelerated hardware like yours. The reason it is there is to help troubleshoot video driver problems, and it is automatically turned on for computers with no OGL accelerated hardware (like cheap game cards or mobo integrated video). If you stop crashing with software OGL turned on, then it was probably a video driver or card problem.

The short answer is that you should leave it off.

Reply to
matt

If your hardware is on SW approved list then you should run with that box unchecked to take adavantage of the approved driver and hardware. You will find it checks itself if there is a driver problem or the system otherwise doesn't support hardware OGL. You intentionally check it when troubleshooting a video or SW problems to remove the video card from the source of problems.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Thanks to both of you. Now I know not to mess with that one.

Reply to
Jack