stereo3D problem

When i use stereo view in wireframe mode it is all OK, but when i switch to shaded mode it looks like most of model is hidden for right eye (hidden by a sort of white rectangle)(for left it is ok). Besides, during rotate SW generates image only for one eye. Is that normal?

Reply to
Vigilante

Maybe a totally dumb question, but what is "stereo" view??? It doesn't ring any bells with me, and I've been here a while.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

"Stereo" I take to mean some kind of 3d display. I want to know how it's being done. I'd love to try it someday.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Not the notion that it is on 2 or more monitors?

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

"Arthur Y-S" wrote in news:MJRkb.5676$Vf7.1376 @nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

You'd have to cross your eyes *really* far to geta 3d image from that... You could tell SW users because they look like Marty Feldman.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Hmm, what about an add-in which would view the stereo pair in a separate window? Gonna try to write one.. ;-)

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

is it possible that shaded mode uses another stereo type or timing? a while ago I directed you to

for info-maybe there is something at that site to help you?or someone who visits there who can -it seemed to me that they are a dedicated and technically knowledgeable lot. I would like to know how you managed wireframe. I am definitely interested if you get shaded operating. cheers

Reply to
neil

i ordered my glasses this weekend. should show up in 2 days. i am writing a solidworks add-in for creating sereo views.

SldWorks::EnableStereoDisplay ModelView::SetStereoSeparation ModelView::GetStereoSeparation

Reply to
Sean Phillips

know your site has a lot of info. This is wear i am getting my glass's from. they ship everywere. and the glass's will work with any video card that has. Open GL,DirectX,Glide. They say dont even use the drivers that come with it if you have an nvidia card. nvidia drivers are better. nvidia is everywere now not only taking over solidworks.

Reply to
Sean Phillips

great! I've been contemplating using stereo for a while now but I don't have the programming know how to make it happen.please keep us informed of progress. : )

Reply to
neil

Uzytkownik "Sean Phillips" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Note: I`ve triet to set these in VB, and nothing happend. It works only with a special plug-in ( i`ve managed to get one from John Williams (thanks) and will resend if anyone want it) Hope that you will write this kind of special plug-in because stereographics plug-in i am talking about works only with 98, 98+ and 2001 version, not with SW2003.

Reply to
Vigilante

there is a device called "stereo3D shutter glasses" and it works as follows: it screens either right or left eye, while displaying image for the other eye on the monitor. It requires high refresh rate (>100Hz) because on lower R.R. you will see flickering (100Hz means there is 50Hz for eye). My tests indicates that at 120Hz image is quite stable, and on 144Hz there is no flickering at all. SW supports this mode only on Quadro series.

Reply to
Vigilante

wireframe: i have downgraded to SW2001, installed Stereographics plug-in , SoftQuadro-ed my Ti-4200. After a bit of tweaking refresh rates it started to work.

Reply to
Vigilante

If this really gets up and running, it would make for an interesting display at our user group meeting. Especially if it would work with the projector. But, the projector probably wouldn't be able to handle the high refresh rate.

Which reminds me, on the news last night they has a story about a guy that projected the TV onto the side of his neighbor's house so they all could watch the Chiefs beat up the Raiders last night. Looked like a pretty cool idea!

WT ( in Kansas City)

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

people have experimented with this using 2 projectors and overlapping the images -using a graphics card for dual monitors and with quad buffering.the audience views with anaglyph glasses-blue/red (or green/red)-these can be purchased in bulk quite cheaply. cheers

Reply to
neil

whoops I got that mixed up

2 projectors for blanking l/r type glasses 1 projector for anaglyph viewing
Reply to
neil

I recall experimenting in High School, just taking regular slides from two viewpoints, and then projecting from two projectors that have polarizer filters on them. The person viewing also wears special polarized glasses to separate the two images for each eye. It was quite effective.

I know this can be done with some video projectors, as long as they are not LCD type, which are already polarized, but not the way you need for the effect. DLP and CRT type projectors work OK.

The only need is to generate the two views on two different display outputs for the projectors. The VBA which was mentioned to create two stereo views could do this if the views can be placed on two different displays (perhaps by putting them in their own windows)

The big benefit to this approach (using polarized glasses) is that the glasses are very cheap. The shutter glasses can be had for around $50, but still to expensive for many situations with multiple viewers.

However, I am really longing for a reasonably cost system which provides viewpoint tracking. Some of my large, complex assemblies are really difficult for the casual viewer to comprehend, even with the wonderful shading and rotation capabilities. The simple act of shifting your head for a slightly different vantage point is very important to get a "feel" for the object. If the display is done on just a monitor, the results are called "Fish tank Virtual Reality".

This "Fish Tank VR" should be pretty simple to implement, but I've never seen a low cost version, they all start at around $60,000. Yet, the hardware to do it (beyond a good video card) should cost under $100. The motion tracking could be done by a $20 camera which follows a red LED (or infrared) on a set of LCD shutter glasses.

I'm puzzled why no CAD company has implemented this... even if just for the "cool" factor to get the marketing buzz.

Reply to
Smiley

just tagging in here since I cleaned my messages again..... how does NVIDIA's stereo addin work in with games? presumably the graphics routines are already to go and just need to detect and interface appropriately with the application surely this can it be modified to interface with SW??

Reply to
neil

U¿ytkownik "neil" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:1UIlb.187604$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xtra.co.nz...

Games does not need to know that they are displaying stereo. It`s a driver function to shift a perspective point of wiev a little bit right or left during rendering phase - it`s fast because you don`t need to rotate all the objects - they are only projected little right or left depending on their depth. Of course evrything have to be shaded and rasterized twice, so overall performance lost is very little below 40%-45%. this is a function either in driver or DirectX, anyway transparent to the application, wich can controll only what values are written to Z-Buffer ( and uses it anyway)

Reply to
Vigilante

ok so what's the problem using NVIDIA for stereo? I am sorry I don't understand why SW isn't available -does it need to be called somehow?

Reply to
neil