OT : Petition - Save XP

Microsoft will end sales of Windows XP on June 30, 2008, forcing users to shift to Vista.

Direct link:

Text:

Jean Marc

alway points toward an mcad package going linux, doesn't it?

bill

Reply to
bill allemann

"bill allemann" a écrit dans le message de news: O6qjj.7906$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...

Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0 + Gutsy Gibbon?

Reply to
Jean Marc

e denews: O6qjj.7906$pA7.4__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z= _ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...

iQ here. been slow lately and my manager has gave me a project of reviewing other mid to high range CAD programs. been fun th say the least.

most are dropping support for linix. some will still work on unix but may not for too much longer from comments. some are porting to mac os, maybe others will see this also. most have resolved issued to vista and openGL, most faster than SWx did. but from what i understand Vista will be the next major OS and they are expecting this to be in use for more than 60% of the installations.

the future is now for Vista, this is why am i still on XP Pro? i will wait until vista is old news. iQ

Reply to
iQ

I fail to see how not selling XP forces people to Vista. I'm on XP now and come June 21, 2008 I'll still be on XP. Come the day when I need a new system, I'll probably just reinstall my XP again, or whatever I feel I want at that time. Even now you can buy copies of Windows 2000 if you look for them.

I'd be more interested in a petition for Solidworks to be a but more platform flexible. I find they are pushing me more towards Vista than anything else I'm using.

Reply to
Raptor

O6qjj.7906$pA7.4__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z_ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...

iQ here. been slow lately and my manager has gave me a project of reviewing other mid to high range CAD programs. been fun th say the least.

Did you try this one? (I did not, but plan to)

Free an will run on linux. I wonder how usable it is.

Reply to
Jean Marc

Medusa is one of the longest-lived systems around, and so I'd expect it to be a mature, stable product - never used it though. Didn't know it was still around - they obviously need to increase their marketing budget!

John H

Reply to
John H

"John H" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Funny they just added a sheet metal module in the latest version... At least that's the way I understand it.

Reply to
Jean Marc

UG has a SolidWorks like mode. It isn't as pricey as it once was. And I think it can be run on Unix.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

This is the real problem. Being forced into Vista, or whatever OS by Solidworks et all. I was forced into XP by SW2007. SW2009 will probably force a move to Vista. SW2008 is in my opinion the stepping board into Vista, with the Icon based GUI.. It is also starting to look more like Pro-E with the fly-out menus....Bleh.

ca

Reply to
clay