PDM-WORKS or DBWORKS ??

Hi, At the moment I'm working at a company where they just started working with (hired) Solidworks. Now they want to buy Solidworks for themselves, but doubt which PDM system they should choose.

I have experiance with Smarteam, which I liked. Smarteam however is a far to expensive system.

Based on that they have doubts whether to use PDMWorks from Dasault or DBWorks from mechworks. I was wondering if anyone has some experiance with these systems.

I myself have the feeling that DBWorks is a much more mature PDM system.

I hope you can help us further.

Thanks

Bas

Reply to
Bas

We are in the same boat and evaluating both packages also. I would suggest that your company evaluate their needs, work flow, future requirements before pulling the trigger. PDM may be adequate for them today, but DB may have greater potential for an expanding company, integration with other packages (MRP/ERP) via SQL and allowing the file structure to be AS IS for other personal to access.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

We looked at both of these as well, we also went to a PDMWorks presentation at the local Solidworks 2004 launch.

PDMWorks is a file manager just like Windows Explorer, very limited, DBWorks is a true database engine.

It was also obvious at the PDMWorks presentation I went to that there would not be any significant developement of the project that would step on the toes of Smarteam, so this sytem will always be very limited.

Reply to
Phil Evans

What is the cost comparison for both? We have PDMWorks but are thinking of looking elsewhere as PDMworks doesn't all of our needs.

TIA Dennis

Reply to
cadman800

Depends on the number of seats of DB and also requires a server with SQL and it's licenses for those seats. We're presently looking at 4 enterprise and

4 standalone seats and the difference is ~15K vs. PDM.
Reply to
Keith Streich

Dear All,

While you are looking PDMworks and DBWorks you should consider another product called

this is also a true database (no underlying DB Cost) and supports Solidworks (Memeber of Solidworks Partner Development Program), ProE, Inventor, AutoCAD, ME10 and most Single Windows File formats. This solution is an Engineering Design Change Management, and Project Management System. It has been on the market for 7-8 years, is very stable, very easy to use and is the easiest product on the market to install and maintain. Installation and configuration for 6 seats would only take 1 day.

DesignDataManager offers big product functionality for an entry level price, Well worth taking a look you have nothing to loose, I will make sure you are looked after!

Regards, Joe Joe McBurnie CSI - DesignDataManager Managing Director

Reply to
JOE MCBURNIE

Hi,

What is the cost per seat?

Marc

Reply to
Marc Gibeault

Dear Marc

The apprx costs are as follows; DDM Office £600.00 or $/?900.00 DDM Pro £1000.00 or $/?1500.00 (includes DDM Office) DDM Web Server £2250.00 or $/?3375.00 (unlimited Read/Only users) DDM Remote Inteligent File Servers £1800.00 or $/?2700.00 per site

1 day install for up to 6 seats 2 days user trg 1-2 days admin training This product requires little to no daily administration and supports Pro/E, Solidworks, Inventor, autocad, ME10 and most other Windows single file formats.

If you have any further questions, please can you mail direct to snipped-for-privacy@csi-europe.com

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Reply to
JOE MCBURNIE