PhotoWorks: Did you know?

I just saw Corey's posts so I thought I'd continue the theme...

Rendering Trick for Simulating Perspective

I've been experimenting with using virtual lenses for creating perspective views when the SolidWorks settings aren't giving me what I'm looking for.

What I did was to create a revolved surface, shaped as one half of a magnifying glass lens and assign a refractive see-through material to it.

I zoomed in far enough until I was looking 'through' the lens, then I rendered the image.

Here is an example...

The original video image I used as a reference was taken through a security camera, so I needed to capture that 'fish-eye' dealy.

Maybe this might help someone?

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Mike,

You are like a PhotoWorks God or something. I just wish I knew how to use PhotoWorks to begin with. Unfortunately, I don't have a need for it in my industry very often so I have never had a chance to try to learn it.

Please post your findings on the Flight 77 thing when you get done.....

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Thanks Seth. Paul Salvador, Ed Eaton, Brian Hill and others really helped me with their very-very useful tips.

You bet! The models will all be freeware, and I'll see what I can do about some of the mis-information I've run across. Maybe do an FAQ or something.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Mike, is it possible to take a jpeg of the actual room as it is in SW. Maybe it is before the early morning coffee, maybe it is just because I am not the morning person. My head is just not wrapping around this. From my understanding, you put a lens that is bigger than the model in front of it and then added the proper material?

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

Mike J. Wilson said regarding this

how accurate the >PhotoWorks effects are compared to a real lens, but I believe it all can be calculated somehow >ahead of time so you know what the rendering will look like before you start.

If you use SW Perspective view you shouldn't have to make the lense all that big just locate it well. Although you could make it small and scale it up to desired size. Though to have accurate bending of the light you would have to locate it at the real vantage point. I wonder if you could make a binocular effect with 2 lenses at varying distances from eachother. That must be what my "bug eye" render is missing Mike.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Funny that we are now talking about how the lens might be able to do this and the the likes. I have been playing with the curve of the lense and keeping the model in the same orientation. and seeing what kind of effects come out of it. It gets really kewl when you create the surface so that it is almost like 1/2, or close to it, sphere shape.

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

No problemo.

Here is a screenshot representing the overall scale. As you can see, the lens is just about actual size...

Here is the actual video compared to the rendering...

I'm still not done, but it looks pretty close.

Material Type: Glass Specular: 0 Roughness: 1 Transparent: 1

I zoomed all the way into the lens. It's strange, but it works!

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

That would be a fun experiment. I wonder if you would have to focus it? Ha! A poor mans blur affect... whoa, that would be cool.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Now if you could make the lense dirty.

Funny th> > Mike, is it possible to take a jpeg of the actual room as it is in SW. >

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Maybe multiple lenses for the telescope, include a mirror to look at virtural stars... All jokes aside this is awsome! well done

Reply to
Ben

You would have to use AutoCad and model the stars in Light Years. What is the distance between lenses in Light Years? I don't think 8 Decimal places will cut it. =^)

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

No , i didnt know. this is actually very helpful , because i have problems with the perspective changing when you add bigger geometry (but my rendered view perspective has to stay the same,but it does not).

Thanks mike

"Mike J. Wilson" schreef in bericht news:f3ab22c4649365439d1e189e29c5dc8c@news.1usenet.com...

Reply to
B. van Welzenis