Project drawing sketch elements into 3d space

Is it possible to project sketch elements created in a drawing view back into the master 3d space? In theory it should be possible as the view cut plane is defined.

Reply to
Phil Evans

Not directly possible. Create a plane in the model to match the location of the drawing view of the model. Cut the sketch from the drawing and paste it on the plane. In the drawing, find the sketch in the FMT of the drawing view, right-click and show the sketch.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

sort of---

extrude the sketch as a surface make a surface offset some small amount on each side of your cutting surface do a mutual trim between the cutting surface(s) and your extruded surface.

one thing that's cool about doing this is that the cutting surface doesn't need to be planar...

Reply to
Michael

Hi Dale, will try this out, does cutting and pasting keep the reference to the origin? ie will it paste into the correct position?

I am an old Catia guy and it was possible to project into and from either 2d or 3d space.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Evans

I'm not sure, since I haven't tried it in years. I think you will probably have to reposition the sketch and replace any references to model geometry.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

This only works if the original sketch is parallel to the new plane. If the cutting plane is skewed, some of the sketch elements will be stretched. Simply copying the sketch doesn't take this distortion into effect

Reply to
Michael

Pasting the sketch doesnt put it into the same relationship with the axis sytem. It would appear you have to also copy a point corresponding to the view axis sytem also and then translate the sketch in the 3d space to get the axis points to mate. I also noted that after pasting the sketch into the 3d model you can drag it around, but unfortunately you cannot position the sketch point that corresponds to the view origin over the top of the 3d sketch origin, the 3d sketch origin is not pickable.

Reply to
Phil Evans

You will have to use sketch modify to correct the orientation of the sketch (RMB on the legs of the purple origin that appears to mirror), and you'll have to add new relations to the model to position the sketch.

Reply to
Dale Dunn