PWX2 - Custom Material Files

I have created some custom materials which are saved in the custom materials folder on my hard drive. SWX is constantly forgetting where the custom materials folder is located and tells me the material cannot be found. Is there something I'm overlooking? Am I the only one? It is really frustrating to keep seeing this error. When I open the material editor the custom material folder is there and the material can be selected, but for some reason the material will not be found when the file is first opened.

SWX2003 SP3.0 Win2000 SP3 PIII 800 Mhz

1/2GB ram

P.S. I did a little project on the weekend for a friend in SWX2001+. It consisted of an assembly of about 40 parts. I worked all weekend on this project using this powerhouse computer: Dell PII 266 Mhz, 64 MB ram, 4 MB video card, Windows 98. It crashed once! Hmmmmm.....

Reply to
CoreyK

I think maybe that is because your still using Beta. (I believe beta existed in SP3.0, but was fully release in SP3.1) but I maybe mistaken.

Reply to
Scott

I also have the same problem. I believe it's a bug in PW2. There seem to be quite a few bugs in the Production release version of PW2. They are not very serious just annoying as hell. SolidWorks actually remebers where the folder is on my machine but it can't find the file in the folder. I have to browse to the folder and show it that the file does exist and it is in that location. I also have problems with room sizes changing, the floor offset changing, the render button not working, the feature manager tab for PW2 not working and texture mapping issues.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Yes, this is exactly the problem I see - SWX has the custom folder listed in the material editor but can't seem to locate the file. I have started modelling my rooms and floors instead of using the built-in ones because of the floor shifting problem. If I don't use a modelled floor I will put the correct offset value in the comments field of the document properties so that it is easy to get it back in the correct position when SWX "forgets".

I'm also not sure about the algorithm that PWX uses to determine where the floor zero position is located. If you set your floor location to have an offset of 0 and aligned with the x-y plane, shouldn't it end up coincident with the bounding box of the model and parallel to the x-y plane? It always seems to end up somewhere off in space with no apparent relation to any of the geometry in the model. Wierd....

I would prefer that the default floor offset was 0 anyway. Most mechanical designs do not float in space - they sit on a surface in some fashion. It seems that most times when a floor is needed the user would want an offset of 0 right?

Reply to
CoreyK