Re: Who Uses Multiple Contexts?

If you need your part to reference multiple assemblies and not just

> one assembly you have a situation where Multiple Contexts apply. This > can only occur if you enable the option: Allow Multiple Contexts For > Parts When Editing In Assembly in the SolidWorks System Options / > External References. > > How many have run into a situation where you felt you had to use > Multiple Contexts and turn this option on? > > Does anyone leave this option on all the time? I don't. When I need it > I turn it on and I'm careful. When I'm done I turn it off. > > Jon Banquer > San Diego, CA

I keep this option on all the time with no apparent ill effects.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Keeping it on is one thing, but do you actually create multiple context parts?

Daisy.

Reply to
FlowerPot

I always keep it on. Have not had any issues. Usually have more issues if it is turned off even with simple in context relations. And more times than not get the error that this part was defined in the context of the other assembly and can't add the relations to this part and have to delete the external relations from the sketch and add the new ones in any how.

jk,

Jon is fishing for support, clues and excuses. Jon in this post has completely changed the parameters from the Original Post, so he has learned something.

The original context was Jon's recommendation that the OP use Multiple Contexts. Jon gave this without having enough information to diagnose the root cause for the OP's issue.

Jon did a good thing by trying to help the OP. Where Jon usually goes off track as he does here is posing as a expert where he is a beginner. Jon was just parroting something he recently read or watched in the SolidWorks 2007 Bible or one of the video tutorials he bought without understanding the lesson or crediting his source.

In this particular case Jon as usual went for an extreme radical fix rather than eliminating the obvious or most common causes first. Nor did Jon ask for necessary input from the OP before recommending multiple contexts.

Multiple Contexts can be of help to some and an absolute nightmare to others if not properly and/or carefully implemented especially if there are multiple system users. Jon didn't know enough about the OP and his work or multiple contexts to make the recommendation. Nor did Jon at the time know enough to warn the OP of the possible downside to using multiple contexts.

One thing Jon hasn't learned is to quit posing as an expert and it's not plagiarizing if he credits his sources.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Same here...keeping it on all the time...... and creating multiple context parts.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

">

Yes, to give the complete answer, I also create multiple-context parts on occasion, but am careful when doing so.

I will also be very careful to be sure I only post to the ng that I am interested in. I would hate geting involved in some sort of discussion elsewhere without knowing it. Lesson learned.........

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Multiple contexts. Ye gods that sounds like fun. (Just hope you don't have to pack and go LOL!)

Reply to
Scott Ferrin