reduce design time

bob z. just got an email from solidworks. the subject read: reduce your design time.

yeah, right!!! what a joke. bob z. can not wait till he is dead. really dead. why? when bob z. is dead, he will not have to deal with solidworks, engineering managers, toolmakers, friends, family, and money. none of it any more. all gone. no worries. nothing. nothing but emptiness.

screws changing configs. mates flipping. in-context failures. blah, blah, blah. the endless pop-ups. the endless wait for loads and saves.

oh, the wonderful kiss of death.

bob z. p.s. solidworks just killed another hopeful soul...

Reply to
bob zee

TOP WONDERS IF bob z. REMEMBERS THIS:

IT IS APPOINTED TO MAN ONCE TO DIE AND AFTER THAT THE JUDGEMENT. T O P HOPES bob z. WILL FIND A RELAXING HOBBY LIKE WEEDING PETUNIAS.

T O P SAW THE SAME EMAIL. IT EVOKED THE SAME FEELINGS IN T O P AS IN GOOD OL' bob z. THEN T O P CLICKED ON THE LINK. LIMIT FOUR TO A CUSTOMER. NO NDA. NO PROMISES.

T O P HAS TRIED 3DC2 ABOUT FOUR TIMES. T O P THINKS SW NEEDS TO SET SOME STANDARDS FOR THOSE THAT SHARE MODELS THIS WAY. STANDARDS ON HOW TO GET INTO THE SITES AND STANDARDS ON HOW TO BUILD THE MODELS. OTHERWISE T O P SPENDS AS MUCH TIME REWORKING THE MODELS AS BUILDING THEM FROM SCRATCH. T O P IS ALSO CONCERNED BECAUSE 3DC2 MODELS ARE NOT IN 2004 FORMAT ANYMORE. WHO COULD IMAGINE THIS BEING SO. T O P CAN BUILD A LOT OF MODELS FOR $1,395.

Reply to
TOP

Amen brother

Reply to
rockstarwallyMYAPPENDIX

T O P JUST GOT ANOTHER EMAIL THE SAME AS THE FIRST. T O P IS SO HAPPY.

Reply to
TOP

T O P is correct, the majority of the models are pretty much useless for mechanical design. The models are dumb, if you DL a pneumatic cylinder, guess what! the rod wont extend!! AWESOME!!! What a waste of my time to go back and do something that can be built right into the models when we DL them.

mrcswp

Reply to
mrcswp

Also, I think SW has more important things they need to be concerned with and concentrating their time on. But hey, thats just me!

mrcswp

Reply to
mrcswp

Agreed on some of that. I recall the same thing from the old acad days and all the "free" libraries out there. Only catch is that you inherited 13 poorly named layers, geometry that was not connected, line-over-line-over-line. Basically made it not worth it. I have seen the 3D analog in some of the libraries out there. Others are so good as to astound me. Destaco is a shining example of the joys of having a good foundation. I'm also in love with Southco. Other model libraries I just shrug off and go back to work.

My "uppity" nature does not allow me to integrate that stuff into anything. A lot like the 13 layer syndrome. . .

The other one is the way way way overdetailed and that is painful too. Like I need all that definition bogging me down. There are many good libraries out there with the right detail level. The real trick is finding them. Once cannot successfully polish a turd . . .

Later,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

But just think. If you use it, then SW can blame the slowdown on the crappy models you get when you download them

Reply to
Jo

I believe the problem stems with people who have great intentions but have no idea how the end product will be used by the people they are supposed to be "helping'.

Case in point - I go onto a manufactuer's website. I select my "part" from a selection wizard that walks me through a series of questions to determine what component I need (i.e. cylinder size, stroke, material, mounting hardware, etc..) Once I select this component I can see secondary information such as description, pricing, etc...

I then download the part directly into SW.

In order for it to appear correctly in a BOM I have to then go and manually add all this information to the configuration specific properties of the model. If the model is supplied with multiple configurations I then have to repeat for each set.

Question: Why can't the meta-data populate the model prior to downloading it to my desktop? I figure the first company to figure this out would have a huge competitive advantage over their rivals. .......

Yet I wait ..............

If "sense" is so common ...... why is it in such short supply?

Len

Reply to
lmar

Which gets back to my point:

If SW really want's 3DC2 to be universally useful they will have to set standards or at least require them. With the new ANSI standard for 3D model documentation they can set some standards that will make downloaded models consistent and useful. And they can set some standards to make the web interface consistent. One reason I don't use it is that it is a portal to each vendor's web site and typically requires giving information and finding parts by different procedures on each site.

Reply to
TOP