Reference point and curve

Hi all I'm trying hard to make an animation using reference point, curve and equations. Problem is I try to make the point follow a composite curve made from a 3D sketch. The curve is just straight lines with a radius between them......like a pipe. The point won't just follow the curve.....it stops at the end of the first straight line and goes back to the start point. I had a look at one of Mike J Wilsons examples and he's using a spline for the curve/path...but the help and refence guide just refers to a curve to hook the reference poing up to. I need the path look like this ....stright lines connected by radi....in the x, y and z directions Anybody with some insight into this ....please give me a hint

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

I don't know diddly about animations and reference points, but are you sure that you are catching the composite curve? It sounds more like you're catching the line in the 3D sketch. If hiding the sketch doesn't fix it, you might try fitting a spline to your lines and arcs. It will probably be close enough for an animation.

Jerry Steiger

Hi Jerry As you say it seems like I'm catching the line instead of the curve but the selection box sais "edge"....and the 3d sketch is actually hidden here.....if I pick the comp curve from the FM it will show up in the selection box, but without the possibillity to set a distance, and it can't be saved for a path/curve If I move the cursor over the comp curve a small note will tell me that it really is a comp curve but only one entity (one line) at the time will lighten up. I also tried to fit a spline to the 3d sketch and use it for the path....but it didn't look really good.....maybe I need to give it some more time and be more careful with it

Krister L

"Jerry Steiger" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Krister L

Yeah, I see the same thing here. Too bad SolidWorks doesn't give a 100% effort when designing new features.

You get the same problem for "Curve Driven Pattern" as well.

When you tried to fit a spline, did you use the "Fit Spline" command? I'm sure that's what Jerry meant, rather than manually drawing it. It *should* work wonderfully.

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Hi Mike

No I didn't try that one.....I'll look it up and see what I can do with it right away....if I only can get it look like pipe in certain filmsequences...(this is gonna be animated with photoworks) it will be great. Most of the time I can use a straight line .....but I really need to let it pass a few bends in different directions.

Thanks // Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

Thanks Mike and Jerry

Fit spline seems to be the tool.....now I can get the reference point to follow my path.

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L