Renaming a large number of files of files?

Is there any way for me to rename a large number of files without losing references?

A client of mine has inadvertently added a suffix to all files.

File names should be similar to below

GDP05-1010-6001

Client added suffix GDP05-1010-6001-1

John Layne

John Layne

"John Layne"

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Reply to
John Layne

If the files are all used in the same assembly or drawing, use "Save-as", go to references, and change names of referenced files. Use find/replace to eliminate or change suffixes.

Reply to
That70sTick

Sort of. In SW Explorer, copy with children, find the replace button. Replace all instances of 6001-1 with 6001. Make a copy, and you should have the files renamed. Hopefully, it's that simple, because replace doesn't support wildcard characters.

If it's not that simple, add more suffix. Something that doesn't occur elswhere. For example, you could add "temp" to all the files, then make a copy of those, using replace to get rid of "-1temp"

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Bingo--- That's what I need as replacing the -1 with nothing also affected other files e.g. GDP05-1000-6000-1 became GDP05000-6000.

THANKS, you just saved me from renaming several hundred files one at a time!

John Layne

John Layne

Just found out you can not rename files with SolidWorks Explorer if in context references are "locked". It comes up with "file in use", luckily I don't have to many of these to rename.

John Layne

John Layne

Yikes! I didn't know about that one. What a rediculous limitation. Does it give a warning or just fail to update?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Duh! You told me that it gives an error. I guess I got a bit excited. That doesn't sound like a correct error message though. Can you submit it as a bug?

Reply to
Dale Dunn