Revisions and multi-sheet drawings

The way we do it is a pain in the neck, leftover ACAD/MDT stuff
probably.
Pretty much we have 2 sheet templates, Bsize and Dsize. We insert one of
these into each new drawing/sheet tab. The title block is mostly dumb
except for the Part No. and the Title, the revision box is just a box
with lines for a letter, rev. desc., approval initials and date.
When I do a revision to an 8 sheet drawing, such as I am this morning, I
seem to spend *way* too much time copy/pasting the text from one page to
the next then fiddling with each to get it located just right, then on
to the next sheet, ad nauseum....
There *has* to be a better way!
Can yall enlightem me?
Thanks
Whit
Reply to
whit
Loading thread data ...
Insert the text on a sheet as you normally would and create a block from the text. If you setup your block right you should be able to insert it at an endpoint and be pretty consistent. You can fill out the block by double clicking the text or there is an attribute editing window that pulls up the notes in an excel type format. I have done this myself I also created a macro to automatically insert the block and scale it for what ever sheet format that is loaded, and also created an interface for adding and editing new revs.
If your revs are all the same notation. You can put on all the subsequent sheets to "See the first sheet for revisions". That is how we handle the multiple sheet thing.
Regards, Corey
> The way we do it is a pain in the neck, leftover ACAD/MDT stuff > probably. > > Pretty much we have 2 sheet templates, Bsize and Dsize. We insert one of > these into each new drawing/sheet tab. The title block is mostly dumb > except for the Part No. and the Title, the revision box is just a box > with lines for a letter, rev. desc., approval initials and date. > > When I do a revision to an 8 sheet drawing, such as I am this morning, I > seem to spend *way* too much time copy/pasting the text from one page to > the next then fiddling with each to get it located just right, then on > to the next sheet, ad nauseum.... > > There *has* to be a better way! > > Can yall enlightem me? > > Thanks > Whit > > >
Reply to
Corey Scheich
"whit" wrote
Whit, I feel your pain. The way I deal with this is I make the changes in the TBB on the first sheet, then 'file', 'save sheet format'. Then go to each sheet and re-load the sheet format(the one you just saved). Of course, this is only convenient if all of the sheets in your file are on the same size sheet (B-size, C-size, etc). You might also try making a block out of the revision portion of your TBB. There is also the ol' copy and paste of all of the text.
I haven't had much time to mess with the revision tables in 2004. I was hoping that the table could be displayed / copied onto multiple sheets, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen... sigh. Well, at least it's a start and it does look nicer than trying to line all of those pieces of text by eye. Time for an enhancement request.
Deb
Reply to
Deb Dowding
SEE SHEET ONE FOR REVISIONS.
....and then on sheet 1:
a) Hide the note on a turned off layer, if there are no revisions, or
b) Turn the note on, and modify as required for a revision description.
....and leave all subsequent sheets unaltered (except for the REV number in the title block)
Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler
There is no reason I can think of as to why your revison block has to remain dumb. Why not link the notes to the propertys in the part? That way you fill in the information one time and never have to do it over and each new page. If you create start parts with the defaut property's filled out, that sets you up for the first drawing. I even have start parts for material type and finish. I am very lazy about them things and this works good for me.
I have also inserted a Excel file boarder and used that in the past. Much faster for keeping text centered and typing in notes. If you need a new line, just pull it down one.
Haven't worked with the new revision table yet.
Jay
> The way we do it is a pain in the neck, leftover ACAD/MDT stuff > probably. > > Pretty much we have 2 sheet templates, Bsize and Dsize. We insert one of > these into each new drawing/sheet tab. The title block is mostly dumb > except for the Part No. and the Title, the revision box is just a box > with lines for a letter, rev. desc., approval initials and date. > > When I do a revision to an 8 sheet drawing, such as I am this morning, I > seem to spend *way* too much time copy/pasting the text from one page to > the next then fiddling with each to get it located just right, then on > to the next sheet, ad nauseum.... > > There *has* to be a better way! > > Can yall enlightem me? > > Thanks > Whit > > >
Reply to
Jay
Here is the way I have done this: Use custom properties of the drawing to include your drawing REV, drawing approved by, drawing date, etc.
Thus, the current drawing rev, etc. can be automatically displayed on each sheet just like your model properties. But, the drawing history is still a manual entry field that is only located on the first sheet.
Keep in mind that this assumes you allow/want models and drawings to have different revs. In my line of work, the drawing rev is always the same as the model rev and keep all custom properties such are in the model file and not the drawing file.
Reply to
Arlin
Thanks a bunch guys, some great ideas here. I'd never thought of using layers, I'd never messed with Blocks before...are all blocks "local"?
Looks like Custom Props may be the way to go, I just need to devote the time sort thru the different possibilities...
We're a 2 man outfit here, me and the engineer, sometimes we have to hustle to get the drawings out which means a lot of our revs are simply "ADDED MISSING DIM"...
MUCH APPRECIATED!
Whit
Reply to
whit
If you've never used blocks before, you need to read the article I wrote on how they work. It explains how & why to set tag names, what controls what, etc. Email me if you want a copy.
WT
> Thanks a bunch guys, some great ideas here. I'd never thought of using > layers, I'd never messed with Blocks before...are all blocks "local"? > > Looks like Custom Props may be the way to go, I just need to devote the > time sort thru the different possibilities... > > We're a 2 man outfit here, me and the engineer, sometimes we have to > hustle to get the drawings out which means a lot of our revs are simply > "ADDED MISSING DIM"... > > MUCH APPRECIATED! > > Whit > > >
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
Whit,
We use Parameter Input 3.0 from
formatting link
It's a free custom property manager that helps in automating filling in the border template info with a number of custom properties including up to 10 revisions. We do virtually no manual editing of the borders. You just need to set up the custom property links from the model to the template and use the Parameter Input interface to fill in the model propereties. We can't live without it and it's easily customizable.
Dave H
whit wrote:
> Thanks a bunch guys, some great ideas here. I'd never thought of using > layers, I'd never messed with Blocks before...are all blocks "local"? > > Looks like Custom Props may be the way to go, I just need to devote the > time sort thru the different possibilities... > > We're a 2 man outfit here, me and the engineer, sometimes we have to > hustle to get the drawings out which means a lot of our revs are simply > "ADDED MISSING DIM"... > > MUCH APPRECIATED! > > Whit > > >
Reply to
Dave H
Looks interesting, but it looks like it works only on Part files, does it work on Assy files also? The readme.txt on that site said it was for SWX2001, I suppose it'll work on 2003 also?
Whit
Dave H wrote:
Reply to
whit
We've used it on all versions since 2001 and are now on 2004. It works on both part and assembly models.
whit wrote: > Looks interesting, but it looks like it works only on Part files, does > it work on Assy files also? The readme.txt on that site said it was for > SWX2001, I suppose it'll work on 2003 also? > > Whit > > Dave H wrote: > >>Whit, >> >>We use Parameter Input 3.0 from >> >>
formatting link
>>It's a free custom property manager that helps in automating filling in >>the border template info with a number of custom properties including up >>to 10 revisions. We do virtually no manual editing of the borders. You >>just need to set up the custom property links from the model to the >>template and use the Parameter Input interface to fill in the model >>propereties. We can't live without it and it's easily customizable. >> >>Dave H > > > >
Reply to
Dave H
Cool I'll check it out!
Dave H wrote:
Reply to
whit

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.