Sweep with path vs Extrude with path

THis is something new in '04. The option to choose a path of sorts while doing an extrusion seems just like a sweep to me. Though you cant use curves to define the path in the extrude feature. I guess I am just trying to see why one would use the extrude vs just doing this as a sweep?

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

I don't think you can use the "Select Contours" Feature in a Sweep feature. Also I believe it can be used to extrude non perpendicular.

Regards,

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

AH, now that is something i never though of, no contour select toll in a sweep

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

So the question is : why did they add a path to extrude instead of adding "select contours" to sweep ? Geometrically, an extrusion definitely is a special case of a sweep. As time goes on, I notice SW adds new features and options, but never merges features that become equivalent...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

As I said you can extrude Non Perpendicular

____ / / / / /___/

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I wouldn't think of it as a sweep but rather a vector. It is totally different than sweep because it is not sweeping but rather extruding along a vector. The vector is defined by a line with a beginning point and an end point, so you are limited to basically a straight path only.

Hope this helps

Mark

Reply to
Mark Biasotti

Exactly. Furthermore, the path (or vector) does not need to intersect the profile like a sweep, and the length of the extrusion is still controlled by a value and not the length of the path (vector).

Reply to
Arlin