Solidworks and STAD

Seeing if anyone knows of a program called STAD and if there is a compatible file format I can save a model in SW to be exported into said STAD. I'm limited to have only had experience with AutoCad and SW and have only exported models as IGES and STEP; I believe those where to be opened using ProE. I haven't even heard of STAD so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Shaggy

Shaggy,

We use both SW and STAD here. We have never had any luck going either way. Although I haven't spent a whole lot of time messing with it, yet.

Zuccus

Reply to
Zuccus

What the heck is STAD? Which software vendor? From which period? and so on..........

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

There really isn't a way. STAAD is a structural shape FEA packages that does it's analysis based upon beam theory and really isn't a general purpose FEA package with traditional elements.

In the past I've build 3D frames in AutoCAD and used them in STAAD to determine sizes and such and then manually transcribed the geometry into SolidWorks. =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

But would it be possible to take a design from SW, export it as a DXF, and open it in STAAD and perform a FEA? Not worried about getting it back to SW as you said any changes would be manually done to original model in SW.

Is that possible?

Reply to
Shaggy