Solidworks licence

Hi, I am thinking of using one of our work licences of Solidworks at home and I was wondering what, if any limitations are placed on the use of the software at home. For instance, can you use the home licence to do work for a third party or is this taboo?

Reply to
PJ

As far as I know there are only two limitations from SW. Of course I am not giving legal advice, just stating some entertaining observations.

  1. You cannot run the home license at work, i.e., you cannot put it on a laptop that you use both at work where the original seat is run and home such that both the home seat and original seat could be run simultaneously. A corollary of this is that you cannot put it on a laptop and take it with you on a trip if the seat on which the home license is based is being used at work.

  1. You cannot continue to use it if your employment ceases from which the home license was derived.

And common sense would dictate that you would clear such a use with your firm. After all certain information regarding the licensed software will be embedded in the SW files. Should a design you did at home fail and some sharp lawyer traced it back to your firm in an effort to pin the blame you might find yourself in a very bad situation.

Reply to
TOP