Speeding up saves

I like to manually save very frequently. This means every five minutes or so. Most times I save it takes three separate actions, save itself, followed usually by two dialogue boxes requiring confirmation that I should rebuild first and then save referenced parts that may have saved. Three clicks, with inevitable delays between. No real big deal but when I want to save I always confirm the other functions and they are becoming a chore. I can't see anywhere that I can automatically bypass these secondary confirmations. I just want to 'save' once and get on with it! Any ideas?

Flyn

Reply to
Flynt

I use an old freeware version of "Push the Freakin' Button"

I think this one here is the old free version..

Cam J

Thanks Cam, that seems to work quite well. Simple too.

Having said that it seems a bit strange to have to work around it like this. I was expecting someone to put me right, pointing out that I didn't know how to use SWX proerly and I should be doing this, that, or something.

Still, I guess that can still happen............. :-)

Reply to
Flynt

I recorded a Macro of these functions, now it's one click:

  1. Iso View
  2. Fit
  3. Control Q (forced rebuild)
  4. Control S (save)

I also have a Macro without the Iso view and Fit

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

What would it take to get this from you?

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Any chance you can share this macro with us?

Bne

Reply to
Ben

Look in the Help file: Macros, Record.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

I am familiar with recording a macro but....

Here is what happens to me

-hit record macro

-then hit spacebar and select diametric

-then hit control q

-then hit save

-next hit stop button on the record macro

-then open the macro with edit macro here is the text

' **************************************************************************** ** Dim swApp As Object Dim Part As Object Dim boolstatus As Boolean Dim longstatus As Long, longwarnings As Long Dim FeatureData As Object Dim Feature As Object Dim Component As Object Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc End Sub

There is nouthing there in the macro, it is a blank template, now before we go into the "its your machine" argument I have made about 100 macros this way and then done some slight editing to tweek things so I know it is not my machine. I have tried several times in different manners i.e. using icons for the actions, using my shortcut keys, and using the menus, all seperately on 3 differing macros and all give the same as above.

So I am sure I am missing something...what? Or can you either cut and paste the text in your maco here or can you send it to me to dissect?

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Here's what I get:

Option Explicit

' **************************************************************************** ** ' C:\DOCUME~1\Devon\LOCALS~1\Temp\swx3516\Macro1.swb - macro recorded on 07/04/05 by Devon ' **************************************************************************** ** Dim swApp As Object Dim Part As Object Dim boolstatus As Boolean Dim longstatus As Long, longwarnings As Long Dim FeatureData As Object Dim Feature As Object Dim Component As Object Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc Part.ShowNamedView2 "*Isometric", 7 Part.ViewZoomtofit2 Part.ForceRebuild Part.Save2 False End Sub

automatically

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Good thanks Devon,

Anyone know why these functions do not show up on my recorded macro but do when done on another machine?

Ben

He ,He, rememer the rant on dont tell me its my computer? Maybe it is, seems I cannot run that macro you sent as well as make it? Must be a system setting somewhere?

Anyhow guess I am SOL with this little macro that I could use. Bummer.

Ben

message

Reply to
Ben

Do your equations work correctly? I was thinking that there may be trouble with your VB install. Just a thought.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yes the equations are working. I have tried this on other machines and still a no go??? Weird? Did you change any option settings or something in the regestry for your install?

Ben

Reply to
Ben

FWIW, the fastest saves I've ever seen with SolidWorks occur right after I reinstall Windows XP Pro.

There are some benefits to zapping the SWks Registry settings, but a complete virgin OS does wonders. And this is on a machine that never goes online.

Of course that makes me wonder just what goes fluey down inside Windows, and it certainly doesn't make me happy with Willy Gates.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

No, I didn't do anything unusual. I was just remembering that anti-virus software can monkey-up VB when installing SW or an SP. Equations that don't work is another symptom of that.

Reply to
Dale Dunn