Split Entities not trully Split

Can someon tell me plese when I use the split entity tool on a circle, and split it in halfe, when I clique on each halfe it selects in two halfes all right, but yet when I try to surface extrude it then it extrudes as one entity. How do I get the circle to extrude halfe at a time, if you can help me. I need to add a tangent curvd line later on and need to add tangents relations is why I need to split circle in halfe. I thank you for helping me Marcos

Reply to
Marcos

In most cases what you are talking about is actually a benefit. There is automatic functionality taking care of this in the background. Years ago it used to do as you say, but they made it smarter. If you want to have a cylinder split, it is probably best to use a Split Line feature using a plane to split or using silhouette edges to split.

You can add tangent relations without having a split point. You can also add tangent relations to the sketch instead of the edge, which is more stable anyway.

Reply to
matt

Good point. As an example that you may expect, you will note that if you extrude a contour with two, connected, collinear lines, those two lines only make a single planar face.

Reply to
ed1701

yeah, the suggestion for you though is to do a copy (0.0 distant) surface offset and use that copy half for your feature.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I recently needed to do the same thing with an ellipse rather than a circle. I made one half of the ellipse construction so the Extrude Surface feature only created half of the desired surface. I then made a new sketch, copied the construction line, and extruded the second half with a separate Extrude Surface. The result was two tangent surfaces driven by a single sketched ellipse.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

If anyone is curious, I used Convert Entities to make the copy in the new sketch of the construction half ellipse in the first sketch.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

"John Eric Voltin" wrote in news:ZIeMg.15771$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

You didn't have to create the 2nd sketch at all, you could have simply shared the primary sketch, combined with "select contours". You then would not have any downstream issues with the second sketch have dangling contraints if you end up changing the first sketch (e.g. split the ellipse on the other axis as well). Your end result would be two surface extrude features, using the same sketch.

I find sharing sketches among features a useful way to handle these sorts of problems and I've not had any stability issues with this. That, of course, does not guarantee that you won't.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

Thanks. This is a very interesting suggestion. I will give it a try. In the past, I had some trouble sharing sketches, but that was quite a few years ago.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin