starting up solidworks (Nvidia FX540 PCI-E)

Hi,

We used to work with Hp D530 pc's with Nvidia FX500 AGP boards. These cards were good and also solidworks started within a few (2) seconds. Now we have Hp Dc7100 pc's with Nvidia FX540 PCI Express videoboards, and solidworks starts up only after 25 to 30 seconds. I was wondering if this is normal with an pci express card and was wondering in general how long it may take to launch solidworks 2006 with these cards. We allready flashed and upgraded every driver, but so far no luck. With the onboard videoboard solidworks starts within 2 seconds.

I hope any one can give advice on this, because it's very irritating that it starts so slow. The computer isn't doing anything.

Kind regards, Marc

Reply to
Marc

Just curious but is Use Software OpenGL checked in Performance Options?

Reply to
TOP

Hi,

No, it is not. How fast does it start up in your setup?

regards, Marc

Reply to
Marc

I know this is not your problem, but the only time I see those sorts of delays starting software is when windows can not find the default printer.

PC Specs Athlon 3200

1.5 Gb Ram Nvidia Quadro 500 non PCIe
Reply to
John Layne

Or a network path to something in your System Options>File Locations. If one of these locations is invalid, it takes a while to open. I have seen this myself. Most ALL of my "file locations" are pointed to a network share. If anyone changes any of these folders around, then SW can't find it. But it will do its best to search the network before it finally gives up.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

So far we have seen it is in the nvidia board. It is also seen in other applications. We bought another one (ati firegl 3100) and this one has no problem at all. Nvidia always had bad drivers, issues and quality is getting worser.

regards, Marc

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:eOCQe.115794$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Marc