subversion as repository for solidworks projects

Hello,

Recently there was a discussion on this group about cvs and subversion as a methode to store version and ropository. Fot software projects I use CVS and saw this was not suitable for solidworks files because solidworks are stored as binary files. With the succesor of CVS Subversion

this problem solved. So now I was thinking is subversion couldn't be used as the backend for a solidworks version control system.

This version control system for solidworks should at least be able to do:

- keep subsequent changes and version of files

- has a commit, update, status, and checkout (as subversion can do)

- check on dependency (is that neccesary while you can go back to a certain state, date or release)

- some interface within solidworks to do revisions and put the information in the information in the costum properties.

- be able to get back a released version of files, project or other.

The aim would be a very basic version control system for solidworks.

Has someone already done some filecontrol with subversion and could this be a backend for a system described?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Geling

I think it can be done. I don't know subversion yet (but CVS). I'm not sure about the real advantages over existing PDM solutions. IMHO archiving binaries (even diffs) isn't efficient. I'm thinking / preparing an XML-based PDM/PLM tool which would archive only structure of models (full rebuilds necessary when reverting to a previous state). See

I'd appreciate to share ideas on all this.

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Don't you need a version control system for the xml file created?

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Geling

VCS for XML is something special because of the structure of XML documents. There are better approaches than (code) text diffs. Check google for "diff xml". If I was building a new PDM tool now, I would consider subversion+XML as a good candidate technology.

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

IBM has an oper source project known as Stellation which is also very powerful. For structured data such as source code and XML there are a lot of interesting possibilities. The versioning is much more fine grained than CVS (I don't know about Subversion).

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

Since SW is bloating our files with Parasolid Data. Couldn't an older version just convert that data, and if you had Office you could run feature works on it. Atleast you would have a solid. Just thinking out loud.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich